Author Topic: using trees to produce power.  (Read 14740 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: using trees to produce power.
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
But cheap for a test that is likely going to fail...
This is true.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

bob golding

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »
But cheap for a test that is likely going to fail...
This is true.

thats why i suggested it.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

bob golding

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
hmm, I can't help but think you will definitely fail using pneumatics - air's too squishy - like when pumping up a bicycle tyre with a hand pump; a large portion of the motion is used just to get up the the pressure required to open the valve and only the last bit of motion actually does something useful.

If you used hydraulics, then any motion on the rams would be transferred to the motor and hence to the generator. If you pneumatics are very cheap could you work them with a light oil/water instead of air? (though it would have to be VERY light oil as I suspect the apertures on pneu's would be very small and restrict flow).

I would also question the use of weights on the ropes - unless they're on the floor and only lift after the gimbal has been pulled to it's limits - else all your energy's going to go into swinging the weights about surely?

i agree air is not the best option, but as i dont want to spend much on an experiment that might fail at the first hurdle i chose air as i have someone with experiance and also most of the parts apart from the cylinders . if it works with air it will work work better with hydraulics. if it doesnt work at all the losses are less.

john8750

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
Hi men.
This is my first post, and this sort or power is my best interest. I have very unstable wind blowing almost all the time. I noticed my palm tree branches do move a lot but not very far.
So, I was thinking about a sort of sail attached to a weight that would swing with the changing air current, and moving  a linier solenoid type armature.
I know the current produced would be small, but might be amplified with more units applied.
I am enjoying all you guys postings and learning so much here. Thank you...

John Smith
Keep the fun in it. Give me sun light.
John Smith

bob golding

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
hi john and welcome, i am only trying this because there are few alternatives in the situation i have. if i get 50 watts out of it it will be worth it. given the choice if you have space, solar is alot easier and cheaper and more reliable. not that  the simple alternative ever put me off trying things......

john8750

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
Hi Bob,
I have 600 watts of solar charging power for my hobby shop, and all outside night  lighting that works very well. Also use a solar heater made from 70 pop cans for the shop. Although it wont heat the entire shop, I do get some personal heat right at my work bench on some cold days.
Where I live, seems like a wind tunnel between my house and hobby shop building. It almost always blows some erratic currents in the same east to west pattern. I think a normal type of mill would be useless. 
So, I will experiment and post results.
I am thinking about a linear armature moving inside a coil. The sail would catch the wind, then retract and catch the wind again.
50 watts would be great even intermittingly.
Very interesting, and I think do-able.
Keep the fun in it.      :)

John Smith
John Smith

bob golding

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
there are acouple of designs that use sails. the creteion? sp windmill and the green windmill. i was going to experiment with the green design n but havent yet got around to it. the biggest problem might be noise.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
In a funnel like that a VAWT would be pretty effective

john8750

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:37 AM »
I do agree and have built a 12 by 12 inch 6 blade cage. It does spin up very high. Have not built any type of alternator yet.
I will try a small PM motor attached and see what I get. You might have a very good idea. I am thinking of any other way to generate some free power, for the fun of it.....

John Smith
John Smith

john8750

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Well, today we had some good wind. Where I live, there should be a blizzard blowing now thru April. Not this year so far.
But I am out working till Saturday. My wife called and said my V-mill was spinning a good 500 RPM, just guessing.
Of course no load is hooked up yet. I have yet to see it turn more that a few minuets and, at around 2-3 hundred RPM's.
Been thinking about the wind sail, but not to optimistic.

John Smith       :P
just having fun with the wind.
John Smith

john8750

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Test results are in and I'm giving the wind sail a " no go "
The sail moves OK but not enough to produce any constant movement of the armature.
Even a push pull set-up would not be practical. Not enough constant movement.
I will continue experiments with the little time I have for the project.

John Smith
John Smith