Author Topic: Three charge controlers using same PV cell bank.  (Read 2285 times)

john8750

Three charge controlers using same PV cell bank.
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:36:52 AM »
Hi.
Would it be OK to connect three CC's and separate batteries, with separate inverters to a PV cell bank?
That would be three separate 120 volt circuits.
Could this be an advantage over one larger CC with a bigger battery?
This is for my hobby shop only, 12 volt and off grid.

Thanks.
John Smith
Keep the fun in it. Give me sun light.
John Smith

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Three charge controlers using same PV cell bank.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
I have 2 and 2 on the same bank. The PV array is larger than either controller is rated, so each controller only gets part of the array, but both outputs are connected to the same bank. I have 2 inverters, one big enough to run a washing machine and the other much smaller, for a laptop. Set up this way for years with no issues.

john8750

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »
I went for it and am charging all three banks just fine, 35 amps max charge current about 7 plus hours per day. My hobby shop only uses around 400 watts for about 20 hours a week. So I have plenty of power. Planning a model rail road, and an evap cooler soon.
It sure is cool to run it for free.
John Smith

john8750

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:23:32 AM »
I now have four separate battery channels. One is for 12 volt only, used for outside night lights. Seems to be working fine. Of course, I don't use all the energy being stored every day. AND, all my batteries are free to me. They are used golf cart batteries, but still run ok.
Will use a 400 watt inverter just for the swamp cooler. A 1500 watt for the model railroad, and a 1000 watt for the shop.
I have 18 six volt batteries in four sets.
My cells are rated for 600 watt output, at about 35 amps max, 12 volt systems.
John Smith