Remote Living > Lighting

What are your thoughts on CLF bulbs?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Out There:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on March 31, 2014, 10:04:58 AM ---For my plants, both Veggies and flowers, they absolutely love the light spectrum, even the strawberry plants have responded all winter. I can run the CFLs off a smaller inverter and not worry about over heating the plants.
--- End quote ---
I don't mind the CFLs, either. Still, I do have some candelabra-base LEDs in the two (two-lamp) light fixtures in my dining room. Before I changed the inverter settings, the four LED bulbs were not drawing enough to turn the inverter "on" from the "search" mode. They would blink with the pulses sent out by the inverter. Reducing my demand is important.
That all said, I'm in the process of planning/designing my greenhouse, which will be used to get a jump-start on the shorter Northwest growing season and to provide some fresh veggies through the winter. Bruce S.'s comment got me wondering… since I want to extend the daily photo period, I'd be turning lights on before the (winter) sunrise and again after sunset. What do folks use? Is anyone using the Red/Blue LED grow lights? This is what I think I want, but they're still somewhat new and kind of expensive. I want to plan this out before I get to the point of need!
-Brian

Mary B:
I am on the hunt for affordable 24 volt(or 12 but that requires a dc-dc converter) light fixtures to wire the house with. RV stuff is super expensive as are various strip lights made for DC use.

Out There:

--- Quote from: MaryAlana on April 08, 2014, 04:14:18 PM ---I am on the hunt for affordable 24 volt(or 12 but that requires a dc-dc converter) light fixtures to wire the house with. RV stuff is super expensive as are various strip lights made for DC use.

--- End quote ---
Another source might be the marine industry. I realize there's still the cost issue, but I think there's more 24 volt stuff for boats.
(…and I could be TOTALLY off on this. I got it 3rd hand!)

Bruce S:
I have used the Red/Blue combo to some very good results! However I am seeing better results from the Red/Blue/Amber combo. My biggest issue is nats  >:( , these little buggers just show up!

Two places I have had good luck is ebay ( look closely at what you get!) and the place I almost went to work for which is Superbrightleds.
Furture electronics online has some very good information on what's coming in the next month or so, not next 5 years like we hear.
DC timers: I don't use them, I like the idea of tending my winter garden everyday so for me it's getup turn on the light and turn if off at night.
Most of the stuff I've seen sold has a wall wart, I just don't use it, I go direct to the battery source.
Hope this helps

MattM:
Thyme oil extract smells minty and acts as a pesticide free repellent.  And it's electronics friendly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version