Remote Living > Transportation

12v linear actuator on boat?

(1/2) > >>

greenkarson:
Last year I bought every tinkering man's dream boat! In the process of fitting it all out with modern led lights and solar panels on the roof. But all that's for another post. The question today is about 12v liniar actuators. Here's my situation. The boat has a 35hp motor now it's a little under powered. So I have acquired a 1976 70hp motor. It has to gas shocks to assist in the tilting of the motor. But no power trim. Which I'm thinking is going to be a must with the bigger motor. I was thinking about switching on of the gas shocks with a 12v actuator of the same demensions. Roughly 10" closed. But I have no experience with these actuators at all. So I'm wondering how waterproof they are(will be under water)?   and how well they would hold a position under load?  Or any other info you can provide.  I asked around on a few marine forums. But it turns out they are not as inventive as homebrewed renewable energy guys.lol
Thanks
I will add a few pics of boat when I figure out how to resize on iphone

madlabs:
I was a marine mechanic for a short while in my youth. Those outboard trim actuators have to be rugged and marine grade to last long. Poke around outboard shops for a dead motor with ok actuators?

What about trim tabs for the boat instead of tilting the OB? Not as good but would help and actuators for those are much easier to come by. By setting the OB up a little with the mount and the tabs you might do OK.

Jonathan

greenkarson:
Finally figured out how to resize picture on phone. Here it is

Mary B:
A standard actuator is not water proof, in fact most are not even water resistant! Satellite dish actuators had drain holes because they leaked.

Frank S:
the amount of shock and torsional stress that the prop can transmit will rip a standard actuator apart the first trip out.
 go with marine trim actuators.  The better ones are hydraulic.
 But a 70hp  is still small enough to not need one even if it is a V4 Johnson
 Nice sized cabin for that sized craft

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version