Author Topic: Battery Charger Inverter  (Read 2447 times)

Yianie123.

Battery Charger Inverter
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
Looking for a battery charger inverter for an emergency battery backup system or off grid application. Approximately 5000w would meet my needs.  It seems that the cost is quite high, but one company seems very reasonable.  The inverter is made by AIMS.  Are these inverters any good?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Battery Charger Inverter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
Chinese made, hit and miss quality. I had a 2500 watt that lasted 4 years then went up in smoke. Poor design when I opened it to see if it was worth repair. FETs had blown along with 2 transformers melting down

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Same here. I had one that was a stud and two that gave it up. Only worth it for a cheapie you don't care about or rely on.

JOnathan

Yianie123.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Any recommendations  on a inverter charger that you won't have to match it weight in gold

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
Samlex might have something, they have been building equipment for emergency services for years... a quick look and they max at 1500 watts though.

madlabs

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
You might look at older/used equipment. One example would be a Trace 2512. I still have one of those installed, the thing is a beast. Powers over the face plate rating for ages, runs a welder ok, etc.

The thing is that an inverter/charger is doing a hard job. I've had no luck with cheap stuff, so maybe something good but older and or used.

Jonathan