Author Topic: HAWT Turbine 3D CAD / Blueprint  (Read 3397 times)

pguillem

• A full time curious inner kid
    • Ethervoice
HAWT Turbine 3D CAD / Blueprint
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Hello all.

I´m taking the full "assisted engineering design" subject on my univ and taught it would be cool to have some 3D files available in SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor around here.

That is... for any of us stubborns who easily ignore the meaning of the word "no" and wish to build a serious (2 to 10kw) turbine from scratch, or engineers/experienced techs willing to improve a design for good old fun (or profit).

Needless to say:
- Whenever someone posts a design or CAD, help by adding every known detail about it.
- Also mention if it really works... or if it is nothing but a nice piece of art.
- Make sure to follow the Fieldlines rules, we are all guests here.

I´ll start by posting the first Wind contribution later this afternoon.
The secret of happiness remains in finding something in which to become an enthusiast.

Jesus María Guillem (1913 - 2002)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: HAWT Turbine 3D CAD / Blueprint
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »
Hi,

Who says "no" to building 2kW wind turbines?  I wouldn't!  Go for it!

But please tell me more:  Are you asking for drawings or offering them?  Or is this a big project you are undertaking?

If you're looking for interest in a crowd-sourced design, then there certainly could be something to be gained from putting many heads together, and drumming up support from places (like this forum) from people who would like to help.  But who are the "doers" that make it happen?

Thousands of hours of design effort is not a trivial commodity, but necessary to complete a mechanical product such as that.  For a commercial machine rated up to 10kW, that would cost a company a million USD to develop.  If you're proposing to work it out with internet volunteers, prepare in advance a method that would allow the group to make contributions in support of each other, rather than just a "herd of cats" like this forum.

Have you already set some goals for the project?  Learning, material, charity, or others? 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
rather than just a "herd of cats" like this forum.

This is a pretty good description.  I nearly spit out my coffee.

Funny, despite the rag-tag, motley crew that frequent this site, there are (IMO) some great exchanges and opportunities to share/learn.  Some are heated, and a member can be found to vehemently defend a position they earlier discarded (or vice-versa, some think we don't notice or recall).  Still if I had a chance to sit down over a beer, or tea if you prefer, with this group, I wouldn't miss it.

Sorry to stray.  It may be hard to get consensus on what really works, and what constitutes art for that matter.  I wish you luck with it.

~ks

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
"rag-tag, motley crew that frequent this site"

Yep, that's me then!.  ;D  ha ha. Back to my nice bottle of Red.

My Moto, Cost effectiveness, cost effectiveness, cost effectiveness.  ;)
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
KS,
Whew, I meant that as humour, not pointing fingers.  I for one, go off in my own direction, too.

Still, I bet many of us putting our heads together would have much to contribute to a "group effort", and would be willing to partake.  Since Mr. Guillem's suggestion is a little undefined at the moment, I'm hoping I can draw out more thoughts about just what he wants to do.  A well framed plan is essential to bringing the best minds to a discussion, because who wants to sign up for a "my way" talk?  Also need to know who the team is that will do the real work.  A well organized group of students can put a lot of time and ingenuity into any project.  Under poor guidance or mentors without the resources to put it to use, though, you end up with an undergrad project bolted to the roof of the department building in the lee of the student residence and taken down before September.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
For the small open-source hardware and software project that I'm currently leading (opentrv.org.uk) we have found it very useful to have a permanent shared workspace in SourceForge and GitHub as well as in forums such as this, to give things a bit of permanence and more explicit open access and version control.  Note that CAD stuff would just as happily live in one of those places as software, for example.

Rgds

Damon

PS. I am the king of CRCs today, thanks to the wonders of open source, but never mind, it'll pass!
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:32:41 PM »
I have cats , herding them is much easier than washing them  ;D.
ClockMan; Yup! a nice chilled Ried does wanders for washing down a days worth of garden grime.

OP>> Crowd source seems to be the next best realm of having a true open-minded professor.
Patience is needed to waddle through the tangents, but I'd make a heavy wager (An 18 yo Glenlivet) this is one of the better places to do so!
Best of luck, I'll lend whatever knowledge I can to this endeavor.
Cheers
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard