Author Topic: Turbine with vortex exhaust  (Read 4695 times)

tanner0441

Turbine with vortex exhaust
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
Hi

I've just been shown a video on a turbine called a double vortex turbine installed over 130 years ago, it is an enclosed turbine and the exhaust drops over ten feet down two pipes which cause a vortex in the water, much like the water going down the plug in the sink, this has the effect of creating a depression in the exhaust and thus clearing the water more quickly from the turbine increasing the turbine speed and thus doubling the power output.  It has speed control consisting of a baffle which forces the water into the turbine blades or allows it to partially bi-pass it.

Brian.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: Turbine with vortex exhaust
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:29 AM »
 Are you talking about a Thompson turbine?
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Hi Frank

I don't know what it is called all I know is that it was an old saw mill and the turbine was fed from a pool about 30ft or so above the point where the turbine was mounted, beneath the turbine they had dug a sump some 20ft deep and the water passed through the turbine blades into the center and exhausted through two 90deg elbows about 4 ins. dia and dropped down 10 ft of pipe into the sump, there was enough water in the sump to reduce erosion and the surface was a couple of ft below the exhaust outlets. this created enough of a differential pressure to scavenge the water from the turbine fast enough to double the power output. the power went up into the workshop on flat leather belts and the machines had one fixed one freewheeling pulley on the drop from the overhead shaft. The machines were selected with a big piece of wood sliding the belt from the free pulley to the fixed one. For the test they power fed a complete tree trunk, 18in plus oak,  into the circular saw and it happily cut the thing without slowing down, there was a band saw and radial driller, plus several less demanding machines.

I would think when you look at the cost of electricity and the messing about with star delta starters and the installation costs, in the right circumstances something like that could be financially viable.  Health and safety would have a field day with bits of wood to engage the shafts... Well they would in the UK I don't know what the states are like, but the legatious culture you have over there could be the only problem I could see if you employ people.

I will try to find if there is a you tube link.

Brian

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »

I believe what y'all are talking about, is called "Torque Tube" effect. If every bit of air can be kept out of a turbine, a vacuum effect is formed, that draws the water away from the turbine. It creates a way for more water to enter the system without losing any gravitational force.

This is what I wanted to do, with the Ossberger design I had planned, for the now, nearly dry, spring fed stream that crosses our property.  ::)

olddawgsrule

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
I'm new to Hydro, but the concept has been true in wind, so why not in Hydro.
Please do link up the video.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
Old dog, there are tremendous resources available for you at this site

http://www.frenchriverland.com/index.html

in the form of historical applications and technical manuals, you name it, it's there.  Good way to burn an evening

Turtle
soli deo gloria

olddawgsrule

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
Old dog, there are tremendous resources available for you at this site

http://www.frenchriverland.com/index.html

in the form of historical applications and technical manuals, you name it, it's there.  Good way to burn an evening

Turtle

I'll grab a beer and some Popcorn!
Thank you!