Homebrewed Electricity > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

PMA VS. AXIAL FLUX WINDMILLS

<< < (6/6)

ChrisOlson:
Car alternators are designed to put out rated amps for only a few minutes to recharge the battery after starting.  Then put out low amps to maintain the battery and the vehicle's electrical system.  Otherwise they overheat and fail.

The 24V converted alternator I got had 18 ga windings in it and the rotor claw had been pressed apart and the field coil replaced with a neo ring magnet.  It was advertised as putting out 1600 watts.  After seeing the windings in it, the best I figured it could put continuous is 500 watts, and even then it would be very low efficiency.

That same alternator rated at 62A in an automotive 12V application would have 7 turns (they are a 14 pole unit) of 14ga wire in a skein or serpentine winding, wired delta.  The one I got had 15 turns of 18ga in it and reached 24V at about 1,000 rpm.  I was not too impressed with it after it melted, and I seen what's in it.

ChrisOlson:
Here's an example of what NOT to buy because you're being fleeced (mods, if posting the link to a commercial product is unacceptable, please change the post accordingly)
http://www.amazon.com/12V-Super-Charger-1600-Watt-blade/dp/B00IHRXUFU/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1402508658&sr=1-2

1600 watts @ 15 volts is 107 amps output.  There is no reasonable person that could expect to get 107 amps out of one of those little alternators when the 1600 watt power output as shown in their graph is supposed to be achieved at 135 mph wind speed.  I don't know exactly how that was tested, and I'm afraid that if you have 135 mph wind, how much power your wind turbine is putting out is the least of your worries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version