Product Reviews > Reviews

SunkCo 788+ battery welder

<< < (2/2)

Mary B:
Any chance one side of the transformer is grounded to the frame? That would be where I would start with an ohmmeter. Could also be inrush current tripping the breaker.

Frank S:
if you are not set up in the kitchen or bathroom where the spouse& kids might be using a hair dryer in the shower or trying to wash the veggies in the sink with a mixer why not dump the GFCI outlet and install a real outlet
 I know they are required in some places but I hate those things almost as much as I disliked the ELCB's in Europe

dnix71:
The ground fault was found and fixed. The power bars pivot on a pin just behind a hole cut in the circuit board. One of the c-clips retaining the pin was touching the circuit board. There is very little clearance in some places, so the maker added tape to insulate things. I tightened the board mounts and added a piece of electrical tape to keep the clip from touching and that stopped the shorts.

I have 3 circuits in my apt. The one by my desk has a GFCI that protects 2 outlets. That is the one I used first. The bathroom was tried second and it tripped that one. I have one unprotected circuit and one outlet on another not protected. i tried those and no majic smoke, but I trust my GFCI's so I went back inside and rechecked.

Still no battery charger working, though. The seller has contacted me and asked me to show him how to properly wire the machine for the US market and I explained that the green wire in the US is a redundant neutral. NEC says white cannot carry current and any other color is okay for hot. Also the fuse needs to be inline with the hot wire.

The original plug and cord had a green and red wire but was not polarized.

dnix71:
Here is a pic of the short.

dnix71:
The seller refunded me $20 after I complained about the non working battery charger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version