Author Topic: Conservation - what I have learned so far...  (Read 1917 times)

JohnWilliams

Conservation - what I have learned so far...
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
I bought a Current Cost EnviR monitor and installed it 2 days ago. It is on the incoming 230V feed so I see all loads on the house.

First test, I installed it on the emergency panel only. This is a panel that I can flip an interlock breakr to shift from grid to generator in the event of a extended power loss. It has selected lighting, internet/main computer, TV entertainment, 2 freezers and 2 refrigerators on it. Ran a consistent 600-700 watts for 24 hours. That gave me a good baseline.

Then moved it to the mains. Resting power draw is around 800-900 watts. No big parasitic draws beyond the emergency feed.

Now for some interesting numbers -

Geothermal on cooling mode - 4KW.  Chart on the unit says I should be pulling 2.8KW. And do not seem to be making much hot water even though it is turned on. My Geo has a spare water heater with the power not connected ans a pre-heater reservoir to feed the primary HW. 

Work item 1 - time for a service call to check out the unit power draw, loop efficiency and diagnose the water issue.

DHW - 4.8KW - this gets hit all the time - shower, dishwasher, washer, etc. If I had the DHW from the geo properly preheating the recovery would be a lot better. 

Note 1 - DHW spare would be a good candidate for a solar dump heater. Investigate if panels and simple controller (ghurd) could supply 2000 watts of 230V without batteries or inverter...

Stove - 4.8KW with 2 burners on.  Infrequent use.

Oven - 4.8kw

Note 2 - investigate load with a oven that also has convection to see if more efficient baking is cost effective (wife hates the oven and wants to upgrade)

Sharp Microwave/Convection oven - MW approx 1.KW, Conv approx 1.2KW

Dryer - 5KW

When the dinner time is on, peak us is really high, going above 10KW and staying there. She starts running the oven and stove, then switches to the combo of DW/DWH and runs a load of laundry... Evening peak is a long, high use span of time. If the standby reservoir was up to temp the overall peak would be shortened.

I tend to leave the garage and basement lights on. They are all cfl/florescent tube and I thought were really efficient. Not true. Combined they run 300W, and left on 24/7 can contribute to $25 of my electric bill.

Work Item 2 - refit with more efficient lighting and rewire for walk lights vs work lights.

I live on a farm so I have a shop and barn. Shop is not used much yet. A Kill-a-watt shows 2KW of use on the shop for the past 4 days. My plan to fit a RV2012 that I saved from my RV I sold looks like a good plan there. I very infrequently use the compressor or welder (inverter type) and they both run well on the generator (that I need to us more to keep it functional). If I need to expand later  there are a lot of 24 and 48 volt inverters on ebay that I can upgrade to. Will start out with 2 250W panels, the 12V inverter and a good MPPT charger (Rogue ($350) or Schneider ($500) not sure yet?) so the eventual upgrade is easier.

Work Item 3 - proceed with the initial solar plan

I have minimal lighting needs in the livestock barn. Will leave that on grid. For cold and hot times I run fans and in the cold months, water heaters. During those months they were running 24/7. That cost me $45 a month for half of the year.

Work Item 4 - Use Ranco heat/cool switch and relay to control a power circuit to allow a temperature set point for fans (above say 90 degrees) and water heaters when below freezing. That should cut energy use dramatically. 

That is the learning so far. At this point, not seeing much use of solar in the house other than the above mentioned water heater idea. 
John

OperaHouse

Re: Conservation - what I have learned so far...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
Hot water is a marathon, not a sprint.   If you can supply 200-300W all the time to a water heater, you will be fine.  Switching heating elements  from 240 to 120V 2000W will make a pretty good match for 36-48V panels.  Just run the lower element purely on solar.  Operating at power point is a must.  A GHURD can do that but a UNO is a much better option.

JohnWilliams

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »
Operahouse,

I saw your post on this in the other forum. Can you describe or link to a schematic on how to build this. I know my way around a schematic and have the skills to build stuff (ham radio, EE, programmer) just not a lot about solar. Assume you have to build a rudimentary program in the UNO, and some external circuitry to control. Explain SET POINT also...

thx much,
John
John

JohnWilliams

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Sorry ... mean't to say "Explain SET POWER POINT also...
John

JohnWilliams

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
"And do not seem to be making much hot water even though it is turned on."

I suspect that when installed, the plumber did not remove the check valve in the passive tank. I see heat generated at the outlet of the geo but no heat on the other end of the line going into the bottom of the tank. Thus, suspect no flow because the pump cannot overcome the pressure. Would not be surprised if the pump has failed also. 

Going to get this fixed before I proceed with the solar hot water project. As it stands, I should get almost no DHW electric use during the summer and winter, and reduced efficiency in spring and fall. Want to assess that before investing in solar.

Still interested in your efforts, Operahouse. Will be looking for a writeup sometime in the future.  Uno's look like a lot of fun, esp. the WIFI connected one.
John