Author Topic: Elio car  (Read 8279 times)

drbob

Elio car
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:14:03 AM »
I ordered me an Elio last February. If it does go into production and really gets 84 mpg it will be a new form of transportation.  For me it is a no brainer as 98% of my travel is single passenger trips.    Fuel savings should easily pay for it

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: Elio car
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 01:27:05 AM »
The concept has been around and produced for many years, sans the full body, air bags & antilock brakes,as reversed trikes.
 the 84MPG may be a stretch but in 89 my oldest daughter bought a GEO metro  3 cyl 1lt, 5 sp air con AM FM with nothing else for less than $7k. Her average MPG over the 97,000 miles she put on it in 2 1/2 years was 58.
 If the Elio does go into production  I feel it will only attract the curiosuty buyers
 they might sell more if they offer a pop top version or a removable body shell
 Also@ 54" tall that is as tall or taller than many sedans and most sports cars
 A more modest 48" might prove to be more appealing IMO.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

drbob

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
I have to agree with most of what you say Frank.  I only put in a $100.00 deposit myself, not the $1000.00 non refundable deposit like many have so I do not have much in the gamble.  I however like the fact that it is a little taller 54" as you say,  I am a pretty big boy and I should be able to get in that thing a little easier.   I presently have a Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 and a Cadillac DeVille.  The pickup gets the nod most of the time just because it is so much easier to get in and out of.

To date over 34,500 Elio's have been ordered.  I think it will get into production.   If I get one I will probably use it a lot as a daily driver back and forth to work which is 44 miles one way.      Well that is if I like it.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
How will you get a motorcycle endorsement for the Elio in the states that will not give it a pass? You couldn't pass the normal test driving around cones with the car, it won't turn tight enough.

I would like to see a car made cheap, never mind the mileage. I drive 20 miles a day to work and back and don't need to drive much more. I can stop along the way at malls and shopping centers to buy what I happen to need for the day. Most of my remaining family is in Tampa and when I go there I do not use the Interstate or high speed toll roads.

I would even be willing to give up a/c if the car was cheap enough. If it was under $5k new, the average person could afford a city car again. An American version of the VW Bug.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
As a side chuckle does it have three wheel drive. And can I put chains on it for the snow.
Cheap tp run but I'm not sure of there surviving of a crash / impact. 13
MntMnROY 13

drbob

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
it just depends on who you want to crash with. it seems to me that a driver in a cement truck with a cab in front of all that concrete isn't all that safe either.   Then how about a semi with a great big load behind you?  it is all relative,   There aint nothing you want to crash

Frank S

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
For me they could toss the air bags. I won't ride in the front seat of any vehicle that has them unless they are deactivated.
Does anone remember the 68 Honda Civic 600?
 taks that car drop the comp ratio from 8.5 to 8.1 add a turbo. Electronic fuel injection make it DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder with electronic valve timing and you would be looking at near 80MPG in a car that could uncomfortably seat 4 people
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
Did that Honda have a 5 spd?  I think it came either way. 13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 01:29:40 AM »
Saw something iffy about these on another forum. Guess the owner is kind of shady... could be vaporware

Frank S

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »
No the early ones only came with a 4 sp manual but there were 3 engines a 354 ,402 & the 599 CC. I think the first 5 sp or automatic wasn't offered in the Us until 72 but don't quote me.
 I don't know if the smaller engines were offered in the US. I bought a new 1970 N600 for $1,295.00 cash out the door including Tax tittle & license, at a motorcycle dealership.

2-door sedan body type
FWD (front-wheel drive), manual 4-speed gearbox
petrol (gasoline) engine with displacement: 599 cm3 / 36.4 cui, advertised power: 31 33 kW / 42 44 hp / 42 45 PS ( net SAE ) / 6600 7000, torque: 51 54 Nm / 38 40 lb-ft / 5000 5000 (see horsepower and torque curve)
characteristic dimensions: outside length: 3100 mm / 122 in, wheelbase: 2000 mm / 78.7 in
reference weights: base curb weight: 550 kg / 1212 lbs
top speed: 130 km/h (81 mph) (declared by factory);
accelerations: 0- 60 mph 15.8 s; 0- 100 km/h 17.3 s (a-c simulation); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 19.7 s (declared by factory) (see detailed performance data review)
fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c: 5.7 l/100km / 49.8 mpg (imp.) / 41.4 mpg (U.S.) / 17.6 km/l

Back to the Elio should they go into production with in the next few months , I'd almost be tempted to buy one, then hack saw the roof off of it and make a pop top.
 However I doubt if the production price as stated is realistic . But of course the TATA motors Nano sells for around $2250.00 in India . In 2015 the second generation US version is expected to arrive  with a 3 cyl 654 cc engine 63MPG  price Un-known

drbob

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »
that Honda N600 was a neat little car. They cost less than a Honda 750 motorcycle at the time.  600cc. air cooled twin cylinder carbureted point ignition muscle.  Cute as a 6 year old missing his 2 front teeth.

Frank S

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
A couple of friends of mine bought theirs around the same time I did. One of them still has his and still drives it daily.
 3rd or 4th engine rebuild or replacement 1 total body restore and no idea how many times the odometer had rolled over.
 I saw one sell at an auction a while back for 8 times the original price.
   Attempts to create a high mileage low cost or unique vehicles has been an on going venture from the dawn of the auto.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »
USA needs to bring in a high mileage diesel car like the VW rabbit of old. Or do a diesel electric combo with batteries...

Frank S

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
USA needs to bring in a high mileage diesel car like the VW rabbit of old. Or do a diesel electric combo with batteries...
there are dozens perhaps even hundreds of cars and small pickups or cab forward 3/4 to 5 ton vehicles in  use around the world that 1 cost less ,2 have better fuel economy,3 last longer than many of the vehicles sold in the US markets .
 The Volkswagen Polo is offered in both diesel or petro power I drove both for over 4000 miles each while on vacation in Spain the Diesel model would be my choice hands down. Then engine was so smooth & quiet you almost had to roll the windows down or watch the tach. to know if it was running or not . 58MPG average the only issue I had was my size 13 EEE feet . Barefoot or moccasins was about the only way my feet would fit the pedals forget wearing a pair of Wellington steel toe boots   

joestue

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »
a friend of mine has a diesel VW Rabbit Pickup and i might buy it from him..

you know i've read the arguments against a diesel hybrid and i'm not getting it.
I have heard from Chris Olson here that there are diesel gensets that are 30% efficient diesel to kilowatt hours.. and that's better than the gasoline engines (otto cycle) in the existing gasoline hybrids offered.

that efficiency will increase with kilowatts.. if the generator is 90% efficient for a 4Kw unit, then it will be about 95% efficient for a 40kw unit, pushing that overall 30% efficiency to about 33%
and increasing cylinder volume decreases radiation loss and friction loss by the square root of the volume.

i think it should be practical to hit 40% diesel to electric kilowatts around 30KW load.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
If you know anyone who lived in East Germany before the reunification they might know how the Rabbit diesel hybrids used there were put together. There were reports of well over 100mpg from VW diesel hybrids cobbled together by enterprising east Germans. As soon as the country was one again, they government outlawed their use.