Remote Living > Transportation

Elio car

(1/4) > >>

drbob:
I ordered me an Elio last February. If it does go into production and really gets 84 mpg it will be a new form of transportation.  For me it is a no brainer as 98% of my travel is single passenger trips.    Fuel savings should easily pay for it

Frank S:
The concept has been around and produced for many years, sans the full body, air bags & antilock brakes,as reversed trikes.
 the 84MPG may be a stretch but in 89 my oldest daughter bought a GEO metro  3 cyl 1lt, 5 sp air con AM FM with nothing else for less than $7k. Her average MPG over the 97,000 miles she put on it in 2 1/2 years was 58.
 If the Elio does go into production  I feel it will only attract the curiosuty buyers
 they might sell more if they offer a pop top version or a removable body shell
 Also@ 54" tall that is as tall or taller than many sedans and most sports cars
 A more modest 48" might prove to be more appealing IMO.

drbob:
I have to agree with most of what you say Frank.  I only put in a $100.00 deposit myself, not the $1000.00 non refundable deposit like many have so I do not have much in the gamble.  I however like the fact that it is a little taller 54" as you say,  I am a pretty big boy and I should be able to get in that thing a little easier.   I presently have a Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 and a Cadillac DeVille.  The pickup gets the nod most of the time just because it is so much easier to get in and out of.

To date over 34,500 Elio's have been ordered.  I think it will get into production.   If I get one I will probably use it a lot as a daily driver back and forth to work which is 44 miles one way.      Well that is if I like it.

dnix71:
How will you get a motorcycle endorsement for the Elio in the states that will not give it a pass? You couldn't pass the normal test driving around cones with the car, it won't turn tight enough.

I would like to see a car made cheap, never mind the mileage. I drive 20 miles a day to work and back and don't need to drive much more. I can stop along the way at malls and shopping centers to buy what I happen to need for the day. Most of my remaining family is in Tampa and when I go there I do not use the Interstate or high speed toll roads.

I would even be willing to give up a/c if the car was cheap enough. If it was under $5k new, the average person could afford a city car again. An American version of the VW Bug.

thirteen:
As a side chuckle does it have three wheel drive. And can I put chains on it for the snow.
Cheap tp run but I'm not sure of there surviving of a crash / impact. 13

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version