Author Topic: Other potential high mileage vehicles  (Read 5877 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Other potential high mileage vehicles
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:34 AM »
 I have Hijacked the Elio thread far too many times  so I wanted to show another 3 wheeled vehicle.
 I've seen these all over Asia and the Middle East but was not aware they were here until today.
 First off it is a very low end vehicle both in price and  exterior body work.
 From what I've seen overseas they are of decent mechanical quality with proper care I might add . You have to do periodical routine maintenance . Skip one service or let one get a little low on oil or go too long without changing and you might as well change the engine    As with any single front wheeled 3 wheeler the driver must be aware of their driving , swerving to miss a cat @ 20 MPH can bring one up on 2 wheels. but normal driving even at 50 or 60 MPH they can be just as stable as a 4 wheeled vehicle . I hardly ever saw one that wasn't loaded to the gills
 I saw this one at the Richie brothers auction in Ft Worth

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Other potential high mileage vehicles
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
I came very close to buying one of those here in Missouri, but they wanted more than I wanted to pay.
~6Gs
It too had the sides were they dropped down as well as the tailgate.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
It would be fun to build an ultralight carbon fiber trike frame, power it via a hybrid with a diesel gen feeding the batteries. Carbon fiber body shell with aluminum used at critical points like motor and shock mounts. 2 passenger with a "trunk" behind the seats for groceries. See just how high of gas mileage is possible while still being practical in all climates.

Frank S

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
I built these back in the 90s
 both are running what we used to call German junk IE 1600 cc VW
 both got around 35 to 40 MPG or more if the fools would drive them sanely. But where was the fun in that LOL

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

phil b

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:17:04 AM »
I see a tag on the windfire, so they must be street legal.

I've seen plenty of those too Type 2 and 3 VW engines Frank. I disconnected a few wires, took the linkeages off, unscrewed 4 bolts out of the engine and pulled them straight backwards and onto a spare tire. VW engines of that time were the simplest and easiest engines to work on. The gasket set complete was $4. I'd love to have a few now.
My bugs would go 120 mph, fastbacks went 145 mph and still get 20 mpg. In normal driving, they got about 30. All had minor work and a mild cam to help them breath better. Thee are still small planes that use them. They did eat spark plugs regularly too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:27:22 AM by phil b »
Phil

joestue

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
There are still small planes that use them. They did eat spark plugs regularly too.

doesn't surprise me. what was done 100 years ago in a barn can surely be done today with a cnc mill and some fiberglass..
or are we just too damn lazy.

i have been looking at the Facetmobile for the last 5 years thinking, i can build a better one.. but do i have the balls to fly it..?
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Frank S

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
The wild fire is street legal in some states. In Texas they are classed as a motorcycle and require an endorsement on your drivers license.
 Of all of the trikes that I built the only ones that would register as a motorcycle only were the ones that used a motorcycle engine mounted in front of the driver  the rest could be titled either way.
 A friend of a friend built this one but it is a little out of the realm of what you might expect to see.
 Of course it doesn't really fit here as it most certainly could not be considered a high mileage vehicle
 Not classed as a motorcycle but can be insured and tagged as one LOL

Another one built by a guy that I used to know classed as a motorcycle only and again not a high mileage or potentially high mileage vehicle