Remote Living > Transportation

Other potential high mileage vehicles

(1/2) > >>

Frank S:
 I have Hijacked the Elio thread far too many times  so I wanted to show another 3 wheeled vehicle.
 I've seen these all over Asia and the Middle East but was not aware they were here until today.
 First off it is a very low end vehicle both in price and  exterior body work.
 From what I've seen overseas they are of decent mechanical quality with proper care I might add . You have to do periodical routine maintenance . Skip one service or let one get a little low on oil or go too long without changing and you might as well change the engine    As with any single front wheeled 3 wheeler the driver must be aware of their driving , swerving to miss a cat @ 20 MPH can bring one up on 2 wheels. but normal driving even at 50 or 60 MPH they can be just as stable as a 4 wheeled vehicle . I hardly ever saw one that wasn't loaded to the gills
 I saw this one at the Richie brothers auction in Ft Worth

Bruce S:
I came very close to buying one of those here in Missouri, but they wanted more than I wanted to pay.
~6Gs
It too had the sides were they dropped down as well as the tailgate.

Mary B:
It would be fun to build an ultralight carbon fiber trike frame, power it via a hybrid with a diesel gen feeding the batteries. Carbon fiber body shell with aluminum used at critical points like motor and shock mounts. 2 passenger with a "trunk" behind the seats for groceries. See just how high of gas mileage is possible while still being practical in all climates.

Frank S:
I built these back in the 90s
 both are running what we used to call German junk IE 1600 cc VW
 both got around 35 to 40 MPG or more if the fools would drive them sanely. But where was the fun in that LOL

phil b:
I see a tag on the windfire, so they must be street legal.

I've seen plenty of those too Type 2 and 3 VW engines Frank. I disconnected a few wires, took the linkeages off, unscrewed 4 bolts out of the engine and pulled them straight backwards and onto a spare tire. VW engines of that time were the simplest and easiest engines to work on. The gasket set complete was $4. I'd love to have a few now.
My bugs would go 120 mph, fastbacks went 145 mph and still get 20 mpg. In normal driving, they got about 30. All had minor work and a mild cam to help them breath better. Thee are still small planes that use them. They did eat spark plugs regularly too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version