Author Topic: Matching Panels to Charge Controller  (Read 2501 times)

kittysmitty

Matching Panels to Charge Controller
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
Just trying to understand. Solar panels are sold by watt rating, charge controller by amp rating. Help me understand the math. I have a 30 amp controller. Here are the spec on a panel that I have modified slightly to make the math work.

• Maximum Power at STC(Pmax): 92Wp
• Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 18.34V
• Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.00A
• Open-circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.92V
• Short-circuit Current (Isc): 5.43A

So with my 30 amp controller can I have 6 of these panels  ( 30 amps/5amps= 6 panels, or

5 panels ( 30 amps/5.43 amps= 5.52 panels rounded to 5 panels )

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Matching Panels to Charge Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
If it is a diversion controller then yes 6 panels will be ok There few places on earth where you get the rated power. For series control or diversion you should be fine.

If it is a mppt controller then there is not really enough information to pass judgement.

My experience is based on the UK where I have never seen rated power. If you are in a cold clear sunny area then perhaps you may be close to the limit. If it is a cheap controller the 30A may be questionable, if reputable it will take a bit of overload so there are a few factors here.

Flux

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
Today the sun bouncing off the snow pack onto the 25 degree panels had the voltage up over 90, above rated for my string of 4 panels.Below ratings on my CC of course because I planned for it. It is really evident when it drops to -15f with lots of sun off the snow.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:57:45 AM »
I have occasionally seen edge-of-cloud effects taking my panels (and inverters, because they can briefly do it by design) over their rated output here in murky London, but it's rare.

One of the reasons I suspect, along with my E- and W- panel orientation, that the local electricity distribution operator was happy to waive the limit in the amount of solar PV that I was allowed to connect to the grid without vast expense and paperwork (G83).

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
When I am sorting out PV panels for a NON GRID Tied arrangement, ie battery charging or AC coupling, I have to accept what panels I get. I am a skinflint, so its best watts per buck.

I now use MPPT controllers, and get the voltage as high as possible in relation to what the controller can handle. This saves in line/cable losses, and also means I still get the MPPT controller shoving juice into my batteries or AC Coupling grid when the sun is poor.

If your 30 amp controller is a MPPT, then how much voltage can it take?
A MPPT Tristar can take about 120vdc input, yea it says 150v but believe me it won't on that odd occasion when you have a crisp clear sunny day.

Therefore 6 x VOC = 131.52vdc as the panels are series connected then the amps will be 5.00amp.

If your controller is good for 70vdc input only,  then a string of 3 x VOC = 65vdc  at 5 amps in series connection and a another string of 3 x VOC = 65vdc at 5 amps.
This then gives 65vdc at 10amps into your controller.

Split the panels into 3 strings of 2 panels each,  so that's 43.84v at about 15amps going into your controller.

NB, I now normally allow a over and under panel production of 10% this stops my controllers from smoking. Some controllers now, like the Midnite stuff has a built in allowance for overvoltage, on those crisp sunny days, which at this time of year are eagerly awaited.

Trust this helps.   

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »
Indeed "eagerly awaited".

Here February tends to get the best astonishingly good clear cold days for PV.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
Have to say I've frequently seen 125%Imp from my panels and once 140% (very briefly) due to cloud lensing and being on trackers so panels are square to the sun. On bright cloudless days I get ~Imp.

That said, I don't use MPPT so a small portion of that would be due to operating at below Vmp, and i'd have to allow another small amount for possible calibration error on the meters, but even so I always size my dumpload/controllers for 120% Imp minimum.