Homebrewed Electricity > Other

48V alternator (ICE driven)

(1/16) > >>

madlabs:
Hi All,

I want to build another small engine/alternator charger. Problem is that I am now on 48V I can't find any alternators for less than a kilobuck. It's gotten to the point where having a 12V alt rewound or having my buddy in Shanghai see what he can find for me. Any leads or suggestions? I'll be building the controller for it, all I need is the basic alt.

Thanks!

Jonathan

dnix71:
There are 48v AirX's. Maybe pick up a used one and mount it. They have a pretty good front sealed bearing.

madlabs:
Dnix,

Too small and no field coil for control. I'm looking to pull 3kW or so from the unit, or around 60 amps. So I'd like to find something capable of around 100 amps so as to have some overhead.

Thanks!

Jonathan

wpowokal:
You could build a Hugh Piggot design, they don't have to be wind driven, but you will need a regulator.

I have a Mecc Alte 110v alternator 55-0-55 long coupled to a small Lister, I rectify the AC output for my 48v bank, control is Allanmatic but a regulator could be used. I only use one of the 55v windings as my little Lister can do 1.75 Kw (it's a little tired).[img]http:/

They are sold under many labels.

Allan

madlabs:
Hmm, now that's an idea. I'd have to look into controllers. I'm guessing that they are more complicated than controlling an alternator - pwm'ing a field coil is just so easy.

I'll go take a look into that right now, thanks for the suggestion.

JOnathan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version