Author Topic: LED motion sensors  (Read 5132 times)

Harold in CR

LED motion sensors
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Does anyone know if these things exist ? I'm not into electronics or technology, as it just slips right out of my head when I lay down.  ::)

i am changing to LED lighting in our house, and HAD a decent reduction in our electric bill, until the wife started "forgetting" to do stuff, like close doors, turn off lights and stove or oven, etc.

I'm not sure if she has just taken a different approach to help us save money on electric bills or, if she is getting forgetful more than normal.

So, I'm looking for 2-3 minute, maybe, of no movement so the 12V LEDs shut down.

Anyone have any info for this old guy ?/

Thanks,  Harold

mab

Re: LED motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
I tried searching for '12v ceiling PIR' and got this:-

http://www.danlers.co.uk/pir-occupancy-switches/42-products/pir/pir-occupancy-switches/ceiling-flush-mounted/26-cefl-pir-12v-ceiling-flush-mounted-pir-occupancy-switch-variants

and

http://www.united-automation.com/content/X10728%20-%20INFRESCO-VR-PIR-12V%20Sensor.pdf

so they do  make them.

You could also try: '12v PIR occupancy switch'

If you want more choice then most of the PIR sensors themselves usually operate at low voltage even if they're built to run off line voltage so with a bit of electronic knowhow you could adapt an off the shelf unit for 12v / 24v - I have a few PIR. floodlight units which are nominally 240v but the electronics actually work at 24v - handy for conversion to my 24v system.

If I remember correctly a lot of the PIR motion sensors used for burgler alarms are 12v though so they may be easier to use

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
We just had a thread on this, look for solar shed lighting...

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I just left ebay and saw those detectors only. Just never had any idea what the sensors were called.

Toldjas I don't know anything about electronic stuff.

Thanks to all for responding

Harold