Author Topic: Design for ferrite, high voltage, MPPT and chain drive  (Read 1928 times)

TDC

Design for ferrite, high voltage, MPPT and chain drive
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »
Inspired by the work of Chris Olson, I'm interested in building a normal ferrite design with the addition of a chain drive for much higher voltage and efficiency.
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146180.0.html

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more interest in what Chris has accomplished! I guess people are not comfortable with the idea of building a chain drive, but I think most could do it with a drill press and proper instructions.  Just ask if interested, I'll help and I think others here will do the same.

Anyway, my idea is Hugh Piggott's new 2 meter ferrite design with a chain drive to raise voltage and efficiency.  A Midnight Classic controller would handle the high voltage and further increase efficiency with MPPT.  Simply running Hugh's 48v design (3 phase star) 2-3 times faster would give100-150 volts.  Since this is hobby/experimental, my design would allow testing and comparison of both the chain drive and normal direct drive.  In addition, I'm thinking of winding two in hand for 24v or 48v. Connecting or switching star, delta or IRP would give even more flexibility.  The PMA spec is twenty four 50mm x 50mm x 20mm ferrite on two 300mm rotors with 9 coils. 180 turns of #17 for 48v.

Comments?  Is it a good plan?  Could the PMA be changed for improved efficiency?

joestue

Re: Design for ferrite, high voltage, MPPT and chain drive
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
I guess the only interesting question is what to use for seals and the main bearings.
Having recently disassembled a grenaded transmission, it wouldn't surprise me if the right transmission could be found that has fully supported shafts and seals on both sides.

I think a great alternative to standard chain is the roller chain found in certain vehicles.
I have a double roller chain and sprockets from a toyota 21R engine that would probably last a lot longer than the standard chain, supposing cheap replacements could be found. --these could be pulled out at a junkyard for little effort, but would cost quite a bit buying them new.
Another more exotic option would be the gear chains, aka link chains. --but these will only be found in 2:1 ratios.. if you want to run two in series to get 4:1 that's an option but 3:1 is probably more useful than 4, due to startup friction.
While more expensive initially, the roller or link chains would last a lot longer.
However you can buy 10 feet of double wide #35 chain for 15$, and that should be enough for three sets of chains.
--are you intending to install a brake?

If you intend to use those spherical self aligning four bolt flanges, then you don't even have to line the bold holes up, and you can bolt the flange to the inside of a weldment.. drilling the holes after welding it together.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:55:59 PM by joestue »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

TDC

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:02 PM »
The drives Chris built are just fine, sealed ball bearings with self aligning flanges. I would remove the inside seals and use oil bath lubrication, as Chris once considered. Hy-vo chain or synchronous belt could be a little more efficient, but I think drive design should be it's own separate discussion.

TDC

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
I should have said drive design could be it's own discussion. So many possibilities with bearings, gears, chains and belts etc.
Anyway, I'm finding it hard to improve the drives Chris has built without increased cost or skills required.  They're efficient, reliable and cost effective. And they can be used as a structural member, I like that part. :)  I'll use oil bath lubrication to reduce viscous and seal drag, but that's about it. 

The only chain I know of that might be better is hy-vo,  99.7% efficient but much more expensive.  The reason for double, or multi strand chain is increased power handling at high speeds. 

TDC

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
I should have said drive design could be it's own discussion. So many possibilities with bearings, gears, chains and belts etc.
Anyway, I'm finding it hard to improve the drives Chris has built without increased cost or skills required.  They're efficient, reliable and cost effective. And they can be used as a structural member, I like that part. :)  I'll use oil bath lubrication to reduce viscous and seal drag, but that's about it. 

The only chain I know of that might be better is hy-vo,  99.7% efficient but much more expensive.  The reason for double or multi strand chain is increased power handling at high speeds.