Author Topic: Passive solar shop build  (Read 8287 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Passive solar shop build
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
(Kept that one quiet!)

And yes, congrats!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

kitestrings

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 04:07:51 PM »
Yes, congrat's, that's way more exciting than windmills and the like.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  It is definitely an exciting time.  This will be our 3rd ( and likely final) child. 

If it wasn't for fieldlines, i would be raising my kids on grid power  :-\

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 12:18:00 AM »
Freefall:
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
I got the door frames up today on the shop.  13674-0

It went pretty smooth.  They will have metal siding the same as the rest of the shop on the outside and osb sheathing on the inside. 

They are 10 1/2" thick so around r40 insulation value.  They will weigh around 700 lbs per side, so hopefully the hinges i built stand up and the screws holding them. 

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »
14245-014245-1

I have been back at this project the last couple weeks.  The doors and latches are done and work great. 

We settled on dense blown cellulose for the walls.  It came down to availability in the end.  It is also the cheapest, easiest, and hopefully best option.

The 7/16" osb was purchased before the big boom.  I considered selling it at $50 a sheet, but decided to just use it as planned.  I payed $14 and thought it was ridiculous at the time. 

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2021, 02:04:24 PM »
14246-0

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
Those are pretty awesome doors.
Do I see a set of torsion bars to latch them shut like a sea container?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
Yes exactly sea container style latches.  I will build a power opener system later that still uses those latches. For now they work great by hand though.  They just can't be opened when it is really windy. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I have been back at this project the last couple weeks.  The doors and latches are done and work great. 

We settled on dense blown cellulose for the walls.  It came down to availability in the end.  It is also the cheapest, easiest, and hopefully best option.

The 7/16" osb was purchased before the big boom.  I considered selling it at $50 a sheet, but decided to just use it as planned.  I payed $14 and thought it was ridiculous at the time.

Check for settling in 5 years, you might have to add more to the top. I have blown in for my walls and it has settled a foot in 10 years.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2021, 07:14:37 PM »
Settling was the biggest concern with cellulose for sure.  We are packing it in pretty tight.  A bit denser than the 3.5 lbs per cu ft that is recommended.  I will probably put some clear windows in a couple spots at the top of the walls to monitor settling though. 

We are doing a different method of dense packing than usual.  We are putting osb up 4' at a time and then tamping it down with a 4" square on a stick.  It saves netting everything and more importantly, it makes it possible with a crappy blower designed for loose blowing. 

The last 2' will be blown from the attic.  It won't likely get packed as well as it should, but it can easily be topped up if it settles.  14250-0

I will hopefully move this stuff in to the shop in the next few weeks and get working on it.  These machines sat outside for 20 years, so they need some love. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2021, 11:33:41 PM »
Is that a shaper on the right?

Yeah, lots of TLC needed...
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »
Yep a 24" alba 6s shaper.  I'm pretty excited about the shaper.  You can do most of what a mill can do and a few things they can't with cheap hss tools. 

It is pretty rough though.  The engagement clutch and the compound screw are both seized.  Hopefully they can be freed without wrecking too much stuff.  I also have a dividing head for it, so i could potentially cut gears and splines. 

The lathe needs a few things, but mostly just cleaned up and put to work.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »
I have to confess...  I have never actually seen a shaper in person, just in videos and books. 

I have, however, seen a guy program a CNC lathe to cycle in and out of a shaft collar with a parting tool pointed 90-degrees.  Going back and forth with it a little bit at a time until a keyway slot was put into the bore...  I said to the guy "there has to be a better way to do that".  LOL I think we both knew what my comment meant but neither of us had the right machine to do that.
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 07:23:39 PM »
You can actually do slotting on the lathe just by power feeding the carriage back and forth with the chuck locked.  It is tedious, but possible. 

We have blown almost 400 bags of 540 of cellulose.  When that is done, I'll probably have to quit on it for awhile and do some real work again until winter. 
14255-0

Here is the view from the wind turbine hill.  We have lots of dirt to move.  Othe than that, it is starting to look almost like a yard. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 10:09:17 PM »
The word I think of is "PROSPECT".

Wow

But some rain to green up those hills wouldn't hurt.
You're obviously hit by the same drought many of us are getting. 
Wife and I were walking on brittle grass in late July and like, "no, don't bother cutting hay this year".
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Yes, our hay and grazing is very short this year.  We have been in pretty exceptional drought for 5 years now.  Our only saving grace is that it is normally pretty dry here, so we are better prepared for it than the rest of the prairies. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »
I am on the eastern edge of the prairie area in the USA... normal rainfall is 29 inches a year. So far this year 6.49". Had storms roll by last night, they did the Buffalo Ridge split and went around me like usual.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2021, 05:52:26 PM »
Do you ever watch the weather radar, see the storm come your way, then vanish 10 miles before getting to you?    >:(
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2021, 09:12:12 AM »
The storms perfected that trick here a long time ago.  I had to quit watching radar.  It was making me crazy. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2021, 01:25:46 PM »
Buffalo Ridge is 1900 feet ASL, I am 1100. Storms roll up the west side of that and split to the north/south or they evaporate. Very local weather pattern that has never been studied in depth, it also cause a lot of wind this side https://www.weather.gov/fsd/news_buffaloridgewind

This shows what kind of weather I deal with, one of the tornado tracks for an F0 went over my house! That one lifted the top of the grain elevator off and set it a block away in the center o the street, intact! It was made of 8x8 timbers nailed together with a million nails according to the crew that tore it down this winter(replaced with a giant steel bin). My weather station indicated 95mph then the sensor array was torn off the tower. I lost all the siding and insulation on the house, it shredded my trees...

This is a study of extreme wind events on wind farms. Buffalo Ridge is ne of the best wind resources in the USA... several turbines lost blades, one tower folded over... the storm took out power for the southern half of MN and large parts of IA... poles snapped off, lines taken out by falling trees and debris. Farmers were finding parts of machine sheds and bins in their fields all fall. I lost cell service because a piece of steel from a machine shed wrapped around the antennas on the tower. Took them a week to get here to fix it. Snapped 2 guy lines on the cell tower and they have no clue how it manages to stay standing.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/we.2122

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2021, 09:00:14 PM »
Holy cow.
That wind is... abusive.

I uderstand your crank-down radio tower a lot better now.
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2021, 02:20:59 PM »
Have to live here to understand how destructive that wind is. It beats the crap out of everything.

Can always tell an out of state driver on a day with 50mph gusts... they are allover the road while we may twitch back and forth a little as we correct for the wind buffeting the car around. Same for truckers. See them pull off and park while MN truckers keep going. MN trucker watch the trailer close, if it starts lifting they correct and slam it back down. Just takes a quick swerve a foot one way or the other to stop it from flipping. Its a hoot to see a trailer in front of you right on the verge with the tires on one side skipping on the road... and coming out from behind a grove is a LOT of fun. It has picked me up and dumped me in the other lane before I get it back under control... that happens in winter on ice a LOT.

Winds can gust 75mph in winter storms that last 3 days... that can peel shingles off, beats the antennas up bad... this is from one of those kind of storms. 1/4 inch 6061-T6 inch aluminum plate, the side opposite the antenna used to have a piece of 1x1x1/4 inch aluminum angle bolted to it as a stiffener. That sheared off and was not found until months later, 100 feet from the antenna location. It was bent 45 degrees, bolts had pulled thru it... this antenna is only 25 feet tall aluminum tubing that reduces in size to 1/2 inch at the tip.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
A little off topic, but still about wind, visitng my parents today (first time in a long time) we got out the sailboat, fixed it up, and went out on the river.  I found myself wishing for wind, any wind...

I was NOT wishing for a Minnesota Nor'wester, though!
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
Here is the culmination of a lot of planning and effort.  I know it doesn't look like much, but it is the icing on the cake of our off grid system. 
14546-0
The wall thimble is triple wall and set up like a concentric vent, so the outside air draws in around the exhaust pipe to feed combustion air and cool the pipe where it goes through the wall. 

Start the generator and flip 3 switches and the house batteries charge and i can weld and run big tools directly off the generator in the shop.  The waste engine heat and some of the exhaust heat should make the shop nice and warm.  It is kind of a trigen but not quite I guess. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »
That's a double wall pipe?  It looks very skinny.

Does the heat exchange cool the exhaust enough that condensation could be a problem?
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2021, 08:07:49 PM »
Just the wall thimble is double wall, not the flex pipe.  And no, it only cools 18" of the exhaust pipe so no condensation issues. 

Calling it a trigen is a bit optimistic, but it does extract a small amount of the exhaust heat so maybe it counts?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
Oh, OK.

I was kind-of expecting to see a big cuff, I guess.  A sleeve heat exchanger is a common feature added to light aircraft exhausts, to heat the incoming cabin air with an exchange of heat.  Works great as long as the air supply doesn't get trace exhaust gases in it.
www.sparweb.ca