Author Topic: Eu 2000i generator  (Read 3211 times)

greenkarson

Eu 2000i generator
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Not sure if this kind of post is permitted here or not. But I think it could be helpful due to the fact that most if not all of us rely on a generator from time to time. And I'd like to be clear that I am in no way affiliated with Honda or anybody that would profit from the sale of a honda. I'd even go as far as to say my experience with the local dealer was horrible. Ok so that's the end of the disclaimer. Now to the point

I purchased a honda eu 2000i generator 7 years ago for my remote cabin. Due to it being easy to carry. And I've got to say I've got nothing but praise for the thing.   It only has a 1.1gal fuel tank advertised to last 9.5 hours on 1/4 load. But I run 120watts of lights,32"flat screen tv,satellite modem,wifi,propane stove controls,laptop,blue ray and sometimes 2 way fridge on 120v. And I've never had it last less then 14hours. For example I will fill it up around 7:30 in the evening it will run all night and still be running long after breakfast  the next day.

And now that it's winter time the turbine in the creek is not producing and solar is snowed in the generator never shuts off over a weekend. For example I got to the cabin 4:00pm this Friday. Filled the gen started it up. Went out sat morning and filled it again  before it ran out and again sat night before bed and it's still running now. Sunday afternoon. And it's whisper quiet it's about 60' from the cabin and you cannot hear it inside at all. And barely when outside with the creek gurgling

So I'm usually at the cabin every second or third weekend in winter and every weekend in summer. So the gen has had lots of heavy use. As shameful as it is I have to admit it's only  had two oil changes in 7 years
The only problems I've ever had with it is. The first year I had it went through 2 fuel pumps the service guy said it was from ice in the fuel pump tearing the diaphragm. So now in the winter I allways add a little gasoline anti freeze with every fill up. Seams to be doing the trick. I see now the new models have a sticker stamped cold weather technology so they have addressed the problem

Other then that I've just snapped the pull cord off from all the use. Was a bit of a pain to replace roughly 10-20 bolts/screws to get at the recoil

I've used it on larger loads such as a electric jackhammer when working on the dam in the creek with no issues.

So to sum it up. Pretty impressed with the generator. And for a small set up in rural location ideal.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Eu 2000i generator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
karson-
the eu series by honda are freaking awesome!  i have an eu 1000 at my ranch.  it was a retired construction unit from my buddies company.  i have no idea how old it is and i have never changed the oil in it over the five years i have had it.  the front face plate is broken severely so you have to hold it while you plug/unplug a cord.  the pull cord broke, and i replaced it with a thicker cord (what i had), so the pull length is way shorter.  it regularly runs in the snow and rain.  it was accidentally run over by a four wheeler once.  i do use fuel stabilizer in the gas.

yet it starts first pull EVERY time. 

adam

DanMc

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
Hi Green,
Thanks for your post on the EU2000.  I have the EU1000 and a huge noisy 7500 watt Troy-Bilt.  The Troy-Bilt is only used when I have to run the well pump.  The EU1000 runs lights and charges the batteries in the cabin. 

I'm thinking that maybe I should get rid of the 7500 watt unit and get the EU2000.  Then I can run with 1000 watts (the small one), or 2000 watts (the larger EU2000), or couple them together if I need 3000 watts.  I never have any need for more than 2000 watts since the fridge and stove are all running on propane and I refuse to allow a TV in the place.

This weekend I experimented with powering everything from a Prius.  That worked best, but I can't be sure that I'll always have that vehicle there, so I still need to have generators as a backup power source.

dbcollen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
The one downside to the Eu2000 is the plastic camshaft. If you run it to charge batteries through your inverter, set it to only pull 10-11a, if you pull 13a for long periods of time the engine gets so hot that when it runs out of gas and stops without a cooldown period the cam followers will melt into the plastic cam and you will break the timing belt when you pull the starter rope. To replace the cam and timing belt requires almost full disassembly of the engine as the timing belt runs inside the crankcase in the oil. Ask me how I know......