Author Topic: reversed polarity  (Read 3085 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
reversed polarity
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:27:48 AM »
I have a battery that reversed polarity last year. I finally tried to discharge it down and recharge it correctly. It was 0 voltage on the posts. Ok fine I put a light bulb 5 w on it and made sure it was dead. It would not take a charge and hold it. I could get it up to about 4 volts and that was it. I figured that was the end of it. I tested it the next day and it was 0 volts. So I reversed the polarity again and tried to see if I could get a couple more months out of it. It took the charge and has been working fine except for the last 5 days. When I use my genset to charge the batteries this one boils easily. I keep it full of water but that will be needing water every 2-3 days. The battery ahead of it stays even, both hold the voltage fine (8-D). This one is 12.1 volts, the good one is 12.8volts. It is dieing a slow death. It will get me by until this fall and i'll get some better batteries.  I forget who I told I would let them know how it has been doing. It has worked fine in reverse polarity until this last week. One day I'll go out there and it will be melted down or in pieces all over the place. I do have it covered with plywood.  I think it was Gurd not sure.  13
MntMnROY 13

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: reversed polarity
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I seem to remember we never really found out why it got reversed in the first place.

It is a bit of a drastic situation, I suspected at the time that it may survive better left alone than risk another drastic event trying to get it back the right way. It is not ideal reversed,  you have  outside positive plates instead of the normal situation with a negative each side on the outside as normal. In addition the plate technology is supposed to be different but some cheap rebuilt batteries used to be built up of reclaimed negative plates for both.

At least if it keeps going for a while that is encouraging. Not sure if your quoted voltages were standing with no charge or discharge for several hours or whether it has become a 10v battery pushed to gassing, that may be what is happening.

Flux

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
The voltage was taken after sitting about 7-8 hours after being recharged back to reverse polarity. It did take about 10/11 hours to recharge it. I guess I was a little worried about being around it while it charged. that is why I put the plywood over it. I charged it again this morning with the genset just by itself for 3 hours and it seemed ok.  But I had to add water afterwards. It might be better once my solar panels can charge it at a slower rate. My genset charges the batteries threw the inverter and it will draw and kick my 30 amp breaker ever so often if the batteries are down.
No One could come up with the reason it reversed. Several pointed to lightning and forest gremlins maybe just a weird battery. It will be interesting on how long it operates. I plan on building a cover just for that battery. I have a couple of longer leads and will isolate it about 4 feet from anything. It is warm enough I am leaving the door and window open just because. 13
MntMnROY 13

thirteen

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »
Flux I do believe the battery god has spoken and left his marker upon my backwards battery. I heard a noise from the power room. It was about 3pm when the sun was at it's best. I opened up the door and all six caps were popped off and the nice aroma of battery acid lingered in the air. Everything on the floor was wet and the posts on my backwards battery were smoking. I shut it down and went back in and checked the voltage. 9 volts 1/2 hr  later it was 4 volts. the other one read 11 volts. I washed the batteries off and disconnected them. about 2 hrs just before dark the one battery is around 11.8v the other is at 2-4v ?? I do think it has run it's course.I have had to put a lot of water in it over the last 2 months. If by morning it is down to zero maybe I will try and charge it for fun. Thought I would let you know.  13
MntMnROY 13

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the update, it does sound very final. Even the other one at  11.8v is at the end of life and is probably about to drop a cell. Soon sets up a chain reaction when one cell goes and things try to maintain nominal volts with the rest gassing.

Flux

thirteen

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
Flux;
This morning the one good battery ?? is at 12.3.The other does not even read anything. I do agree the other one is also at it life's end. I have two other older batteries (14yrs) that will get me thru the summer.  I only figured I would only get a couple of years with these batteries. Esp with only part of a charging system. I'll have a good solar system in by August. 2250 w of solar panels. And this late fall I plan on getting some good batteries. The biggest problem is where the solar panels go and the wire to get the power down 550 ft to the power room. $$$ At least when i die I will not have to worry about taking my money with me.
MntMnROY 13