Author Topic: Maximum mobile power  (Read 3871 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Maximum mobile power
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
I have a 20-year-old van with a broken a/c. I consider it not worth fixing because I may not have the vehicle much longer. So I bought an LG 5k BTU 120vac window unit and figured out how to run it from an inverter that sits on the front passenger seat. Next up is building a box so the unit will vent through the sliding window behind the driver. In my neighborhood if the a/c was mounted through the side of the van it would be vandalized. The hot air has to go somewhere, so I plan to rest the a/c on the bench seat behind the driver and make a box with a towel or sheet to force the hot air outside.

When the vehicle finally goes away, I should be able to salvage the a/c and inverter for reuse.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Aftermarket-car-ac-wiring/

kc7noa

Re: Maximum mobile power
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
You didn't state that you had a problem ..... read that in the link ....

Id guess that the surge requirement of the AC is larger than what the inverter can provide .....

IF the inverters surge is acceptable then a voltage drop might be a problem .... a LARGE capacitor next to the inverter might help with the surge requirements .... but that's just more money ....

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
I installed the large cap next to the inverter first. That wasn't enough, but the only fault then was OOL, meaning the inverter stayed in overload too long. After installing the boost-start cap on the a/c, the inverter chirps twice for a total of about a second, but the compressor spins up immediately and everything stays up.

The van's alternator has a hard time at idle in gear, but that's not suprising.

kc7noa

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »
Cool deal ... i have a 1963 Wagoneer that could use some AC cooling ....

and this sounds like its cheaper than an aftermarket AC .... lol

so your working well enuff -- with in reason ....!!!!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
Stick it on the roof inside a housing to direct cold air down.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5XHvaJu1I

Video of me cold starting the inverter which cold starts the a/c. Van running at idle.

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
dnix, you may want to directly wire the inverter to the fuse box.  I have melted my share of cigarette lighter plugs running higher amp loads.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »
richhagen The inverter is wired to the battery with a set of jumper cables that had the clips cut off and a 175 amp fusible link installed. The cigarette lighter plug is used to power the small blue and white 12v fan that redirects cold air toward me.

I have a 300 watt sine inverter. It's the largest one I would plug into directly to the lighter outlet.