Logged in users > User Diaries

New Land Acquisition

<< < (2/3) > >>

thirteen:
aerotron;
I have three of the old trees on my property and they are filled with holes and I get to watch the bates and a few birds live in them. There is a pair of hawks that made one of them their nesting place.  Nature has a pretty good balance for everything. We seem to think we can do better but in most cases we do not manage things that well. 4 inches of snow this morning thank goodness for my warm fire. I'll be able to make sure the wood burns correctly and make a batch of cookies. My elk roast is in the Dutch Oven on top of my heating stove. Lunch about 1:30. 13

SparWeb:
Welcome to the country, Rich.
Is this a new sub-division?
Do you have neighbours that do the same kind of forest management that you're considering, or are they clearing their lots?
Might pick up some "what works, what doesn't" tips.

richhagen:
Well, there are no immediate neighbors.  There are quite a few homes down the road on the southeastern edge.  The land is tilled for annual crops, corn and soybeans mostly, if it is flat enough, a bit of the hills are pastures, but most are forested like my little plot.  I am not planning to replant the forest, just possibly add a few higher value timber trees here and there.  I am not planning to move there any time soon as I have a few years before I can leave for a pension yet.  I am planning to head down there next week to put in a concrete pad for parking while I am there. and maybe plot out a first utility building. 

12AX7:
Sounds like a good time to invest in a small sawmill...

kitestrings:
Congrat's Rich.  It's a satisfying feeling, even with the complexity/challenges of what to do next, how to do it well.  I always worry that despite having a management plan, and good intentions, down the road someone will discover we've down the wrong thing(s).  Not for lack of trying though.  Enjoy.

~ks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version