Author Topic: Ozone generator with venturie induction  (Read 8683 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Ozone generator with venturie induction
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:04 AM »
So it is sort of spring, got cleaning out the trailer and decided I've put this progect off for way to soding long!

So for those who want to make one your self you will need:

Quartz sleeve, these are used in UV sterilizers so easily had
A stainless steel tube (Has to be ss as ozone is mega reactive and this style of generator all so makes nitric acid with moisture present)

PVC end caps I used 1" slip to threaded and 2 glue on caps

Descicant, blue when dry, pink when saturated.

Nylon 1/8mpt to barb fitings

and a oscilator (In my case a 555)

an old ignition coil, mosfet and such.

So far I haven't figured out exactly how I'm making the desiccant stack, ideally I'd of liked it all to be metal for regenerating but pouring it on a pan to bake it works just as well.

So some pictures of it as is and will add as I get things more finished off.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Ozone generator with venturie induction
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:44 AM »
They like to neglect telling you that those descicant cartridges can be regenerated :) Well too bad I'm leting the secret out! you got to bake at 450 till they all turn from pink to blue, usualy you'd do this by blowing air heated to that through the desiccant stack but allas we do what we can. If only I had a lath and some 316L

Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
The board you see there is the origional, I've yet to make the new replacement board bty.

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:38:41 AM »
Looks like something Homeland Security would be interested in.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:45 AM »
How much water will it sterilize a day?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
Looks like something Homeland Security would be interested in.

Well I still haven't got the U238 yet so I'm safe!

Lol

Today will work on the desicant stack packing system, with any luck I can get the 2 extra packs I'll need (I need 3 more cartridges to fill the tube all the way)

Need a new 1" pvc cap and drill the holes for the air in n out for the cell and tap them for 1/8 npt.

Need to figure out whether the anode will be copper or SS (Basicaly what scrubbies will they have at the store!) Then test the tube with 6.2Kv and see how the static field builds around it.

Will take pictures once some showable work is don.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
How much water will it sterilize a day?

200g per hour is what My estimated flow rate will be with the pump I'm using and pipe restrictions. The ozone will be very high concentration due to desiccant stack, I may endeavour to put in a CO2 scrubber as well to further enhance O3 generation, for that I'd need another tube (I could salvage an old T4 fluorescent light for that) and use LiOH as the medium as it can be regenerated by baking as well.

Treatment volume is a function of run time, as this is a tank based system, it draws from the tank runs it through the venturie than back into the tank.  So longer it runs the more water gets treated.  Effective area depends on how you plumb it.

I tend to draw from the front and discharge at the rear to ensure a solid cross flow.

But for now get the generator running, get it all back in its housing nicely packaged, then worry about future gas scrubbing.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
I haven't seen a car's coil like that one in years :-).
Will be an interesting follow.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
after hunting for some circuite ideas and came accross this gem, the fellow did a great job on making a very simple system with a clean out put, so rather then rebuilding the old cb I'll make a whole new one.

http://research.buttersblog.com/projects/hvpowersupply

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
progress!

Holes drilled on the ozone cell and some simple caps bored and drilled n taped for the fitings. Now need to make the Circuit board and finnish the cells anode.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
Cell is don and tested with 6.2 kv at .6A  Good field and no leakage currents!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
6.2kilovolts!!! at .6 amps!!! you are playing with a very dangerous voltage level that can blow a hand off if you touch it!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
Final drive is I need to push 25Kv  we're making ozone via coronal discharge here, that means high voltage energy transfers! this whole system works on electrostatic fields. we are making a cold plasma cell (Well won't be cold for long)

Guss I should have stated that warning in the beginning.

So for all those who wish to copy this project:

WARNING: High Voltages at High currents will be required and the utmost safety precautions must be taken, failure to handle these parts correctly can and will kill you! DO not even attempt if you do not know how to work with high voltage safely!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
I have RF amplifiers that run at high voltages(2.4kv 1 amp supply). During a fault in a tube the ceramic 50 watt surge resistor exploded and sprayed shrapnel all over the inside of the cabinet. Some piece punctured the screen over the tube for cooling air... the amount of power stored when a capacitor bank discharges at that voltage is impressive!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
Oh ya, caps are not to be messed with! even at lower voltages, 300Volts at 1 ferad can cook things in a second if it doesn't just blow up!

All ways keep stored caps with a 1mega ohm bleed resister, higher for higher voltages!

reason I had armor covers on my air vents on my HV supplies, when things go wrong they go "very" wrong.

Most these hv was for making co2 laser, wish I still had some of that stuff, but I had to abandon a great deal when I went off grid, the rest was stolen.

I sincerely hope the thief played with it! pop corn syndrome. Once I get more permanent set up going I want to start rebuilding my HV gear again.