Remote Living > Housing

Bambie almost killed me

<< < (2/6) > >>

Frank S:
never pull a tick off by its body the pincers  and the head will remain in the skin. Puff up a cigarette until the end is hot then touch that to the tick  it will release its hold and fall off for those who don't smoke use a lighter to heat up the tip of a sharp pointed pocket knife then use that like the fire of the cigarette. for those who neither smoke or carry a survival lighter or a pocket knife  you're on your own on how to make something hot.
 I've been in areas so infested with ticks that you had to brush them off your clothes every few dozen yards I traveled. long sleeve shirts and tying a shoe lace around your pants cuff to your boots helped. also we found that in the jungles  the  absence of, or very closely trimming of all body hair helped 

Bruce S:
IF you have it available WinterGreen rubbing alcohol works instead of fire.
1 summer while rescuing an old Beetle bug car,   I had enough seed ticks on my right foot , it looked like someone poured black pepper on it.
I was not about to put fire on my entire foot, and I don't smoke . The WinterGreen stuff made them release and I did the rest with a basin of about 2 inches of water.

petect:
Thanks for the suggestions.
I would REALLY appreciate any help / pointers that will help me to make and try out a gadget similar to what I described in my original post. It seems to me that it could be done fairly easily and cheaply.
Thanks
Pete

madlabs:
Pete,

I made a racoon scaring device for my sister's coy pond. You can start with a motion sensor light switch. If the strobe or other device is 120VAC you can just screw an outlet into the light socket. If it is DC you can plug a wall wart in. They also make water sprayers that are motion activated. Once you have some hardware we can help more with a specific hack.

Jonathan

petect:
Jonathan
I like the idea of 12v for mobility. I found this strobe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Accessory-12V-2LED-Strobe-Light-Emergency-Warning-Flash-Controller-Special-/151576771473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234aadfb91

Sensor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-DC-12V-24V-8A-Infrared-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Switch-For-LED-light-Hottest/131326713631?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32299%26meid%3Daa531f9b035e426281e60446a7d8e1fa%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181662991502&rt=nc
 I like the idea of a super cap VS a battery - less maintenance & smaller
I've come across various 12V PV panels.

Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version