Author Topic: Good thing I don't pay for electric  (Read 2577 times)

OperaHouse

Good thing I don't pay for electric
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
When I opened up the camp this year the fridge seemed slow to get down to temperature.  Made some changes to software like eliminating emergency high temperature code that allowed the fridge to turn on with with lower battery voltage, that was always a spiral down to death.  Also extended run times and shortened the inhibit time to restart after a run.  Put a clock on it the other day.  For the normal 12 sunlight hours, the fridge runs 8. I have a refrigerator run time counter in the program that goes up to 255 minutes.  Most I ever remember seeing was around 210 minutes or 3 1/2 hours.  Inverter current is also down to 10.5A from a typical 13.6A.  Looks like I need freon. At home I have taps, hoses, gauges and vacuum pump.  I can probably go a month till I find the items I need at a garage sale.  Even with the fridge running almost all the time, yesterday the system put 2700W into heating water. The 5CF chest fridge was new about 5 years ago.  Cost $100 as it was a factory refurbished unit.  Maybe they didn't do such a good job.

OperaHouse

Re: Good thing I don't pay for electric
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
Chest fridge started running over ten hours a day so we opted for a new Haier 7.1CF to get more capacity than the old 5CF. This one has R600 refrigerant and averages about 3 1/2 hours a day.  With less running time, the amount of excess energy being diverted to water heating has gone from 2.4KWN to close to 3.5KWH.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
The 13cu foot I am using as a fridge is using 400 watt hours a day

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
Odd thing is the GE had the cooling ring around the top of the chest.  I thought this was pretty standard as the air would stratify and the top would be the coldest.  This would allow for natural circulation and keep things more even.  The Haier seems to have the coils on the lower part.  Milk and drinks come out with a slight bit of ice in them.  Wife likes it because it keeps ice a long time without melting.  Learning to live with the change.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
For those wondering R600 is isobutane. A hydro carbon regigerant, nt too bad efficiency, not as good as R290 (Propane 95+ purity)
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!