Remote Living > Lighting

Playing with some 7 watt LED's

<< < (3/3)

Mary B:
Test setup:
Single 7 watt LED on what is supposed to be a 10 watt heatsink. Adjustable constant current dc/dc converter. Current measured with a digital meter.

Temp stabilized at 140 degrees running at rated current of 300ma, was still climbing when I took this

I had to drop the current to 100ma to get the temps to fall back to a more reasonable 108 degrees! Fans are a must to move heat off these if you want the longest life. Doesn't take a lot of air. Fans I am running draw .07 amps. The dual LED setups are drawing an actual current of 628ma including fan and they run 5f over ambient temps.

Harold in CR:

MaryB, thank you very much for explaining how the LED's consumption is figured, including the fans and heat waste.

Let me explain my problems with electronics and milliamps.

I was involved most of my life with 120-240V at up to 60Amp usage. Home and light commercial wiring/troubleshooting, AND, a lineman for a New Jersey Power Co, at up to 7200/12,500 V, live handling. Making those kinds of systems do what was needed, was no problem.

To put that in electronic mode, I'm a welder, not a solderer. Used to be, didn't matter what the current draw was in a specific application. 

Now, trying to save every tiny bit of energy because of high power company rates (30 cents Kwh here) and constant outages, (2 since I started typing this response) fridge compressor is twisting in it's frame, trying to restart-restart-restart, etc. UPS on the computer beeping, and, if turned on, TV cutting out, restarting, as many as 3-4-5 times in just a few seconds, span, is why I am about to hook up an off grid wiring system in my house.

I do have a few LED strip lights made up, by wrapping a section around a white plastic bottle, that I have soldered a standard screw in light bulb or screw in Fluorescent bulb base, and screwed them into flat base light sockets for ceiling lights or pigtail sockets for temp lighting, especially over my computer desk.

Too much hijacking on this thread. I will start my change over thread in a few days.

Thank you again, MaryB.

Harold in CR

Mary B:
No hijack, on topic! Easiest way to think of ma is 100ma is .1 amp

Johann:
Mary,
What is the difference in power consumption between the ones you use and those used in LED screw-in bulbs where they use 14 tiny LED's.
Which would be better?

Mary B:
basically the same, these have 14 led dies in them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version