Logged in users > User Diaries

Restoration of a 150 year old Barn.

<< < (3/25) > >>

clockmanFRA:
We get enough snow each year to stop the tractors getting about for a couple of weeks.

Actually that barn roof is not that steep,  compared to the standard Normandy Barn.

Here's are 100 footer long barn, 'The old House', the oldest bit inside is 1700's, the west side is now brick as the Oak just rotted out 150 years ago.

I did the roof in 2006, 7,000 slates, here is Frank a local guy who helped me out labouring.

East side, the weather does not beat up this side.

Bruce S:
Clockman;
As promised, here is a pic of our home's brick

This is the North side of the house. Pay no attention to the mail slot being redone. I'm trying to make sure the patina isn't removed while re-insulating the contact with the wall. BUT the bricks could be ones straight from your supplier.

Here is the dinning room wall color.

Compare that to your pic of your formal room :-).

Is that a what we call a 12/12 pitch roof on the barn?

Bruce S

clockmanFRA:
Love your bricks, laid to line, excellent.

12/12 pitch?

Here's the barn roof I will be re-slating......... my pitch is shown as 48 degrees, so that's about a 75mm lap.

Finished the Salon, re-wired the Old chandelier and electric-ed it, re-strung the cut glass dangly bits.
The wall light mounts are an old Italian Gesso wood candle chandelier, split and converted to electric.

The nice thing about the new panelling is the fact that its 4 inches of Insulation behind it.

DamonHD:
10cm insulation?  Yum!

My house is so small that I've been using aerogel to get away with less (3cm or 4cm depending).

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S:
Our country is not old enough to have the wooden candle stick lights  :(, otherwise I would've done the same as you. However I am very happy with the new dim-able LEDs behind our alabaster chandelier. For winter we swap the soft-white lights our for ultra-white lights to ward off cabin fever during the winter doldrums.

I like the ladder with all the paint drips , shows a well used item.
Is that fireplace insert a working unit?

Damon,
I'd be curious about using the areogel, but the costs are currently prohibitive.
AND what do you consider small?
I've seen other people's WCs bigger than our kitchen  :P.
AND trying to get salesmen to understand WE don't want a ubber-sized dishwasher or stove or fridge 'cause it won't fit anyway is maddening at times.

NOW back to the barn;
ClockmanFRA
Is that slate as in rock type slate? if so how does it attach?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version