Author Topic: Restoration of a 150 year old Barn.  (Read 45280 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: Restoration of a 150 year old Barn.
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
Hay Bruce, those plates/plaques are great.

First time I have seen a collection of the French Insurance Companies.

Our local Fire brigade, Latitia, far right, is the Chief.

Our local Fire station at Le Sap, Normandy. Looks like a new sign, done by our local blacksmith who is a part time fireman.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

clockmanFRA

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
One of our local girls made us proud, she did very well on the national Cheese calendar, Camembert is just 6 miles away.

Moderators... if this is a bit out of hmm ?? ah? .....I will remove.

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2016, 05:00:28 PM »
clockmanFRA;
The Iron work is great! I had to put my reading specks on to make out the detail, but WOW!

My neighbor and Amy's Godparent , does stuff like that, is on direct commission for AB's iron and copper-ware.

I'll have to show him this!

Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

clockmanFRA

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »
From the sublime to the ridiculous...

Quiz today.... Found another one in the Garden, Whats this?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2016, 08:59:20 AM »
What does the top look like? If it's a screw top, then it would be an early form on our modern day made in USA grenade.
They worked on the same principal of holding a firecracker in your hand. Hold it in an open hand, small boom plus lots of pain , small hand parts missing possibly .
 Hold it in a tightly closed hand, the firecracker blows your hand off :-(.
As an added plus, this one would throw very very sharp metal parts at everyone around you, inflicting shared damage/pain.

Nasty stuff
Bruce S

clockmanFRA

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
Here is another photo....

Left side has a round pull pin, with a safety pin/bar through it.

Right hand side has a serrated machined cap, that I suppose could be unscrewed.?

All a bit rusty Now.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2016, 10:38:41 AM »
A steam heating radiator air purge valve; air lock is triggered while live steam is present and opens to allow condensate to drain back...

clockmanFRA

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:26 AM »
Hi DanG,

This is Normandy, about 10 miles from the 'Falaise Gap'.

Our Old retired Mayor told me lots of stories. When he was a young boy, a German Amunition lorry was strafed on the small road along side our field, by what he thought was a UK (Allied) Hawker Typhoon, the lorry caught fire and the German soldiers threw boxes into our hedge and into our field.

At first when I found these grenades I used to call the Police and they would organize the Army Bomb disposal, but they took up to 4 months.
However, on chatting to an Army Major it seems that the best thing to do is put them in the embers of a large bonfire as it dies down and the heat will incinerate or explode it, and leave the area well alone.

We have a large bonfire every year somewhere in our fields, as I keep the hedges in order and fell a few trees for our log burner the following Winter.

Yes they explode.!

WW2 German Hand Grenades, and there it is with its primer wing cap.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
clockmanFRA;
2 things.
1)It must be interesting to be around that bonfire !!
2) I showed the iron work to our HQ staff, they want to know if he can be imported to St Louis just long enough to create us one! That is some awesome work.

Cheers
Bruce S

clockmanFRA

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »
Summer has arrived, back on the outside jobs.

My 9 year old has become very usefull.!  :)

Gravel filling the septic tank drain trenches for the 2 gites, another 2 trenches to go.  To The French Specifications......

clockmanFRA

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2016, 04:27:55 AM »
The South side of the Old barn gets a new roof. 12 meters by 3.8 meters.

Should be able to get 5kW of PV panels on.

The rusty tin roof of the lean to, will be replaced/removed next year, made into a court yard with small animal buildings.

For Damon, PV Rail brackets going on.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
B^>
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »
Nice progress ....looks great
WILD in ALASKA

clockmanFRA

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
The roof is finished.

The south side has the PV roof stainless steel brackets fitted ready for the PV rails.

Just need to get on with the thermal block laying inside now!.

Yes, new old granite gate post re-fitted, and fitting a new 5 meter yard gate, at least the latest 12 wheeler cement mixer will be able to get in.! 

clockmanFRA

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »
Just 4 more roofs to go.

Scaffolding moved to surround the South end 160 year old Outside double seater thunderbox. There is also another at the North end of the main House.

It needs a new roof, and a few structural repairs here and there.

No we will not use it.  ..........   Suggestions for modern use gratefully received..........

clockmanFRA

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »
The Bunk Gite, sleeps 6, becomes operational.

That gives us 2 functioning independent accommodation Gite buildings and all using Renewable energy.

The Bunk Gite is whithin the Old "Medieval" Barn, (actually the oldest bit is about 1690), used to be the Plough Horses stables and hay loft. The building is all Oak frame with brick on the West side, and mud and straw walls on the East.
Each of the Gites is a house within the building, with new thermal block walls sitting on a raft foundation. The new floors and new internal roof sit on the new walls, so no loadings are straining the original structure and fabric. Lots and lots of Insulation to Passive House standards, as usual.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
Just 4 more roofs to go.

Scaffolding moved to surround the South end 160 year old Outside double seater thunderbox. There is also another at the North end of the main House.

It needs a new roof, and a few structural repairs here and there.

No we will not use it.  ..........   Suggestions for modern use gratefully received..........

Energy storage.  Obviously you could be boring and use batteries or wood or something, but more in keeping with its heritage would be methane, eg from anaerobic digestion...  B^>

Rgds

Damon

Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »
Would make a nice smoke house for meat curing... after a good interior scrubbing of course!

clockmanFRA

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2016, 04:50:27 AM »
Thanks Damon, I will look into your suggestion!.

Mary, exactly the opposite to Damon. You guys sure think outside the Box, so to speak.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »
Progress on the Old Barn.

The 8 inch thick interior thermal blocks go in.

The North wall, Oak framed, Mud filled, "Torche" gets repairs, and oak sub frames go in for the windows.

The North wall exterior is now repaired with lots of new spliced in Oak from the saw mill down the road. Just need to finish the cappings on those 2 support brick pillars.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
Three new windows in the Old Barn.

Originally these 3 off North wall windows were just a simple hinge wood door. It looks like about 50 years ago they were filled in, but the exterior framing shows their original position.

Here in France window frames, even on the old buildings, are butted to the outer skin. This gives more frame to wall area, but when viewed from the outside the frame looks pleasantly thin and minimalistic and with more light coming in. In the UK frames are secured into the window hole, so difficult to hide those chunky frames.

My new oak sub frames, secured to the outer wall, yes they get a Zinc exterior window cill /flashing.

No1 PVC double gazed window secured in position, stainless steel brackets and Fire Foam insulation/securing. I spray paint the exterior white surface of the window frame to a colour that suits, hence the masking tape.

Sadly in France now, it is difficult to get mahogany/hard wood window frames at a good price. And France has gone PVC mad!. Price wasn't to bad at $76 each.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
Nice!
Are using the extra thick walls as a thermal mass as well?

clockmanFRA

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:52 AM »
Yes Bruce, it all helps.

In general the original old walls are leaky, both air and dampness, even after my repair work. So hence me using thermal blocks that free stand on the raft foundation inside the old building.

But I need to keep the thermal blocks from touching the original old walls, and where they do, or get close to, I use a plastic separation membrane. I do not want pooling and dampness showing on the base of the new interior walls.

The wall plastic membrane, 1.5m high,  is very carefully tucked behind the upward protruding raft foundation membrane. So any water that gets through the outer/original building wall, can therefore run down and under the raft foundation into the original sub soil/ground, like it has been doing the last 150 years.

The thermal block walls will reflect any heat inside, ie, the heat generated will stay inside.

The heating inside will be 3kW electric under floor heating using the concrete slab as a thermal mass, a storage heater.  This works well in my other buildings, but, and in this modern world a big ....... But!,  If the building is going to be used, the under floor heating must run at least 48 hours before.

There are lots of variables at play here, organic material adjoining brick, mud and straw walls, lime mortar and cracked brick walls. Hence me paying close attention to all details.

Each thermal block, 620mm x 250mm x 200mm, (approx., 24inch x 10inch x 8inch), weighs 23kg, (50lbs).
I must be getting older, as my arms ache at the end of the day.! ha ha !

clockmanFRA

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2016, 03:29:11 AM »
The local Fire Department, ...... 2 young Firefighter ladies, ...... called last night for their Christmas Box, and I received a 2017 calendar.......

This is for Bruce!

"Quick Hide, le patron est ici."

OperaHouse

« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2016, 05:12:35 AM »
Every woman should have a little black outfit. But, does anyone else here find it strange that safety personnel are wearing such low visibility protective gear.  Even fire trucks aren't red here anymore.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
ClockmanFRA;
That's pretty cool! Strangely enough, we were fighting a 4-alarm about the day you sent that. An old refrigeration / cold storage building was being open-flame heated for a couple "transient" people who then needed recusing. Cold storage buildings are Cork lined to keep cold (old ice-houses) in.
Fire got between cork and building, it's still smoldering. WE even made NBC news with the pretty! but o-so-damn cold ice covered H&L .
Here's the Google map, it's the 5-story building, not the Kerr foundation, that is 100% green.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6374774,-90.1819755,21z/data=!3m1!1e3

clockmanFRA

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
Works here trundle along.

The Old barn, Lecture Theatre, gets its south side slate roof covered with PV.

16off 280W, 4.5kW, Mono's 60 cell, assembled in Germany, wafers from you know where. Each panel is 1000mm by 1675mm, or , in old money, 39.5 inches by 66 inches, 16kg or 35lbs.

About $170 each.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:38:59 PM by clockmanFRA »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
ClockmanFRA;
That's a rather inventive way to keep the tile roofing from being weather worn  ;).

clockmanFRA

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »
Spot on Bruce-ey babe .........  :)

Yes ,     got to protect my precious slate tiles..........  ;D

clockmanFRA

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »
Training or none training......... ?

I do wish the IT department would use the stairs? .........

I captured this shot today as I drove past Our local Fire Brigade...........
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:13:09 PM by clockmanFRA »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »
New IT person getting "training"
Nice helmet though. Very high profile  :P

clockmanFRA

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »
Another summer comes to a end!

And still the restoration of a 150 year old barn continues.

Early 2017 summer I had to stop as New French rules on planning came into enforcement, yes even for repairing buildings. Usual stuff, but mostly, "what's the colour of the slates, the timber, brick walls etc" and full building drawings and sections".

No charges/cost for us. Our local planning officer has gone and a new large officialdom department has been created at the regional district headquarters miles and miles away, they sure likes paper work.

1.        The barn is renamed, and is officially known as the 'Grange Mouton', next to the barn, was a tin roof lean too, is the new Mouton cuisine, the mouton WC and the Mouton freezer room. That old thin concrete yard will be lifted and roofed sheep lambing pens built, eventually.

2.      The barn as today........

clockmanFRA

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:37 AM »
Nice to have that extra PV on the Old Barn/Grange Mouton operational.

I have 2 old second hand GTI's, from fleebay, that are connect to the OzInverter mini grid. I have the internal codes for these GTI's so they are set at 247vac and 248vac then they shut down.

The AC voltage rise occurs when the batteries are full and no large loads on the AC mini grid. Remember that the OzInverter backcharges, so the AC voltage goes backwards through the OzInverter and becomes DC and therefore charges the batteries, batteries full and push back and the AC voltage rises.

I have 4 lots of PV arrays on GTI's set at 1vac difference and this equates well to the battery voltage. I have a list of figures somewhere but these also had to take into account 500meters of voltage drop. I now find that small GTI's and lots of them give better battery charging control.
Yes, 'oztules' I have still not implemented your latest GTI circuit yet, I will get there.! At present setting the GTI's works neat.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:29:10 AM by clockmanFRA »