Remote Living > Housing

Manufactured home attic cavity - insulate more or gable vent?

<< < (5/5)

DamonHD:
It's called a 'seasonal thermal store' and can be done, for some.  Here were my musings:

http://www.earth.org.uk/milk-tanker-thermal-store.html

10t of magnetite, wrapped in LOTS of insulation, would just about do it for me these days!

Rgds

Damon

electrondady1:
i've seen a few "earth ship" videos with the idea employed . they just used rocks in an insulated container. it's something i have been thinking about . the idea of heated floors/ heated crawl space is appealing .

wine_guy_3:
As several others here have said, air flow is critical;
prevents condensation, and helps heating and cooling.

Continuous ridge vent would be the best, but it's a little late for that (roof already on).
gable vents do not help a lot, they only help at the ends, not much in the middle.
Continuous soffit vent would be helpful, and not hard to install.
You really need more than 2 vents in the roof. Probably 5 or so based on the 50 foot length.

Hope this helps.

MattM:
Just to be clear, you only ventilate if their is a gap anywhere at the roof line.  The standard is to ventilate in most every case because unless you adhere insulation to your underside, there is going to be a gap of some type.  General rule of thumb is cold air is dry, hot air holds water.  Not always true, but mostly.  You will get moisture underneath if there is any gap during cooling.  But if you had no airgaps and we're air tight with insulation below the metal, no ventilation is necessary.

Amy:
Close the gable vents if wind-blown rain or snow is constantly coming in. Simply nail a board over the aperture from the inside; don't worry about creating an airtight seal. To sum it up: To prevent roof venting from sucking conditioned air into the attic and causing moisture issues, fix air leaks in your attic floor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version