Author Topic: Restoring an old Jacobs 1800 Watt  (Read 51094 times)

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
Re: Restoring an old Jacobs 1800 Watt
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2010, 07:29:50 AM »
Mark,

I will get some pictures today, as I finish the assembly of the hub.  But for an answer on the shaft gears mating, the "spider" for lack of a better word, has gear teeth that mesh with the shaft gears, as well as 3 "bearing blocks" that fit in the fork openings of the flyweights.  When the flyweights move outward from centrifugal force, they turn the spider, which in turn rotates the shafts.  All 3 shafts have to be synchronous, since they are the blade attach points.

Maybe too simplistic an explanation.  I'll post pictures later today.

Tom

B529

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
Tom,

your paint job looks great, nice job!

Kevin

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
Mark,

As promised; a picture of the rebuilt hub.

Kevin; thanks!

Tom

bj

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
   That last pic cleared away a whole bunch of clouds for me Tom, Thanks.
   Looks like a nice robust piece.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

12AX7

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Tom..

Yes!   Now I can see the light!   

That pic clears up a whole lot of questions!
Thanks!!
ax7
Mark

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »
Hey guys,

I just uploaded some more pictures on my website on the turbine progress if interested.

http://www.aluminum-solar-absorbers.com/wind-power-projects.html

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
Started the assembly of the Jacobs this afternoon.  While looking at it a few days ago, I realized the only component without new paint was the motor case.  So, sanded and primed it last night, and painted it with two part epoxy (automotive) paint early this AM.  I should be installing it on the tower tomorrow or Saturday.

Ran the heavier wire up the tower yesterday for the higher amperage.  Had a friend with some used stuff.  Good thing since I needed 140' for the tower and another 90' to the garage.  My low voltage heating elements arrived today.  Made an aluminum plate with aluminum couplers on it to mount in my wooded solar tank.

Lots of work for this weekend.

Tom

jarrod9155

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
Like to see some more photos of that 140 ft tower  . Plus that restore looks great

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
I gotta say,
after 105 replies,
5512 views,
and all that work,
I'd certainly not put it out where the weather would screw it up!

Very nice job.  It looks brand new.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
Tom,
  Thank you for teaching us about this machine. This is professional work and I am looking forward to your future posts.  Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:16 AM »
   Thanks for the nice comments.  To put this project into perspective, I have admired the old Jacobs Wind Turbines for a very long time.  It seemed almost every one I saw was out of service, in disrepair, and looked like they had been exposed to mother nature for 100 years.  Like an old car, I saw the potential for restoration every time I would look one of these deprived machines.  During this whole rebuild process, I've taken a sense of pride that this one would look as good as the day it left the factory (before I was born).

Although it's not quite done, I want to give a tremendous amount of credit to those posters on this thread.  I could not have brought this machine to this point without this great resource of wind turbine enthusiasts, unselfishly sharing their knowledge, as I learned about this machine.  THANKS A MILLION.

I'll be posting more photo's over the next few days as we finish it.

Tom

B529

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
Looks amazing Tom, you should be proud of your work. I know how much time and effort goes into rebuilding one of these. Look forward to the pictures of it flying.

Kevin

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »
She went up and live today!!!!

I took these pictures a few minutes ago.  Pretty neat, since the sun had already set, but the turbine was still in the sun.  Both pictures were taken from the deck off my bedroom on the second floor of my home.  The picture with the whole tower in it, has my 336 Sq' solar collector in the foreground, which is sitting on my underground garage.  We had pretty light winds today, but it has never stopped spinning since about 1:30 PM today.  We installed a couple batteries in series and Larry (my electrical guru) dialed down the voltage to 25-26 volts on his control panel to be safe.  I should have the low voltage heating elements installed within a few days.  The unit was generating about half the time since up, varying from 5-15 amps.  

I can't believe how quiet it is!!!  No noise at all from 200', and closer it's so minor the tree noise is louder (radiates some a bit of bearing noise down the hollow tower).  After the Breezy, my neighbors and wife are already happy with it.  Did some maintenance on the tower guys today too, realigning it to exactly vertical (need to install a stop for the gin pole) and tensioned the guys to straighten it (that long it bends pretty easy) and install proper tension.  The raising of the beast was uneventful, except that Larry wouldn't let me stop and take pictures of it partially raised (sorry guys).  He was too anxious to get the unit on line and test it.

Tom

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:42:30 PM by Tom Sullivan »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
I may be the first, but I surely won't be the last to offer congratulations!  It is such a satisfying moment when the long project comes to fruition.  And considering the frustrations of the past this will be more sweet for you.  :D
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clintonbriley

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »
Tom,
Congratulations on completing your restoration! 
Do you plan to record the jacobs production in some way?

Clint

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2010, 09:59:59 PM »
Thanks SparWeb and Clint.  As far as trying to track production, I would really like to do that.  Especially after my experience with the last unit.  I've looked in the archives here, and on line, but have not had any luck finding anything for less than several hundred dollars.  That's a bit out of my budget right now.  I'm looking for DC amp hour meters, right?  Maybe someone can steer me on an option for less money?

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »
If you:
a) like doing it ALL yourself
b) can write simple programs
c) know which end of a solder iron is the hot one -

You could try a PICLOG (www.thebackshed.com) kit.  They're up to some pretty mature iterations there.  I'm not so good at electronics, but it was simple enough to hack a system together that logs to a laptop computer. 

From what I've heard, the HOBO data logger is cheap and pretty versatile.  Worth a look?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

afgatrost

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
Tom,
Your post is a year ago, but I have an 1800 W Jacobs that I bought 30 years ago.  It was a complete setup and if you still need information on the tail piece it is sitting behind the house (Only been outside a year).   :)    I never did put it up.  I would be happy to trace it on paper or a photo. 
Archie :)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
afgatrost,
If the tail is behind the house, where's the rest of the turbine?   ???

(On a more serious note, I would love to hear more about it.  Are you planning to finally raise it?)
www.sparweb.ca

afgatrost

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
Tom,
I teach school and in the summers I pick projects to work on.  This last summer I put up 2,760W of solar cells with 48 volt battery backup.  That in itself was quite a learning experience.  I actually thought I could do the wind and solar all at once.  And now I find out that there are a lot more things to deal with installing a wind machine.

So 30 years ago we lived in town and was working in energy conservation.  I bought a used Jacobs that had been rebuilt and a friend sold me 31 ft 4 legged tower for my 3 legged stub.  I never was satisfied how to make the transition between the two, so it sat on the back burner.  Then we moved into the country with 60+ft trees and I started teaching.  I had already had a friend who worked in a machine shop dress down the commutator.  He told me the nose was .007" out but was able with their equipment to bring it to .002".  It must have done a face plant at some time.

So to answer your question.    :)  The generator is in my classroom where my friend tested, cleaned up the wiring and recoated them.  The controller he cleaned up also and its in the lab with the slip rings.  The tower stub we refelted and is in my classroom also.  And there is a 32 volt motor the original seller threw in.   Oh, I almost forgot the fly balls, which are really neat the way they work is in my room also.  And another important part I forgot.  The blades are in the basement.  They look original.  Someone put a metal strip along the leading edge, but it still has small dings in it.  One of the metal straps that backs the blade attachment is cracked and I was never comfortable welding it, so that slowed me down too.  I have a lot of the manuals on the system.   Amazing the things that can stop a project.

Sorry for being so wordy, it nice to chat with someone that has an interest in wind, it been a long time for me.  But to answer your second question.   I need a turbine that will tie into the 48 volt system, so it doesn't seem the Jacobs will work.  Plus it seems it may need TLC and special controls to tie it in.  So I am looking at newer models, and I can't afford the new Jacobs.  :)  I have ideas, I am hoping yourself or this forum can help me out.  The solar cost a lot more than I expected, but the local utility and 30% is going to help out a lot this year.  Now I am checking out tower prices.  I don't want to climb anymore, I could though, so I am wanting a folding tower.  $$$$,  And the 5K Jacobs is not for stand alone or backup and its $$$.  So I am planning on selling the 1800 Watt sometime to help defray a bit of the cost.

Boy, I bet you never expected to get an answer like that!  :)
Archie

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »
Boy, I bet you never expected to get an answer like that!  Smiley Archie

Naw, those of us who like WT's can go on and on and on about them...   I'm even more guilty than most.
You would have a keen audience if you'd like to share the story of the solar array, too.  We're all here to read about this stuff and learn from each other.  There's a special place on the forum for solar projects, and you're welcome to start a new story there.

There are plenty of ideas about WT projects on the forum, plenty you can build yourself, and this isn't the only story about restoring a Jake, either.

Welcome to the forum!
www.sparweb.ca

Revolutionary

« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
Tom, I'd love to talk with you in person on your experiences with your turbine. I have a 3000 watt Jake, totally rebuilt, making me power, when the wind blows...it was a grand project, one that I'll remember forever, a lot more work than I thought, really rewarding when done. PM me for a phone number, if you'd like. I learned a lot about these as I was building/installing, and maybe we can compare a coupla notes.
Chris

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2012, 01:32:34 AM »
Sweet!

Too bad the mass marketed stuff makes everyon think a wind turbine has to be loud to work.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
Sorry for not responding to some of the recent emails on this thread.  I thought I buried this thread after completing the turbine.  Rarely check this site anymore since finishing it.  Glad to see some members still enjoy the project. 

It has run pretty much trouble free since going live, well over a year ago.  Did have one minor problem with the tail yaw cable breaking.  Came home one night and the blades were tangled in the tail.  Guess the Jacobs cable design wasn't intended for 140 foot towers.  That amount of cable is a lot of weight hanging on the pulleys.   Dropped it down (happend this past spring) and repaired the cable.  It had just a minor mark on the blade where it hit the angle iron tail support (pretty lucky).  Otherwise, nothing to report other than it works great and now has a completed log cabin sitting under it (my latest project).

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the update.
WT's do need some TLC don't they?
www.sparweb.ca

B529

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
Sorry for not responding to some of the recent emails on this thread.  I thought I buried this thread after completing the turbine.  Rarely check this site anymore since finishing it.  Glad to see some members still enjoy the project. 

It has run pretty much trouble free since going live, well over a year ago.  Did have one minor problem with the tail yaw cable breaking.  Came home one night and the blades were tangled in the tail.  Guess the Jacobs cable design wasn't intended for 140 foot towers.  That amount of cable is a lot of weight hanging on the pulleys.   Dropped it down (happend this past spring) and repaired the cable.  It had just a minor mark on the blade where it hit the angle iron tail support (pretty lucky).  Otherwise, nothing to report other than it works great and now has a completed log cabin sitting under it (my latest project).

Tom

Hey Tom, next time you have your turbine down consider a shock of some sort for the tail. Sorry I didn't mention this back when you were re-building. I used a long throw shock for a Jeep that was designed to work in a horizontal position. I tested it several times by quickly letting out the tail cable simulating a cable failure, worked well. You were definitely lucky the tail did not flex enough to take out a blade(s)....lots of bad things could have happened.

Glad to hear your turbine is doing well!

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2015, 11:25:04 PM »
Sorry I've been off the site for so long.  Some very big projects and work have had me pretty busy. 

Wind turbines need regular maintenance, and with my really busy schedule, I neglected to keep up with my semi-annual turbine maintenance over the last couple years.  In July of 2014 I noticed a little noise in the unit and suspected my blades were loosening up (I restored it using the original blade attachment method, which left a lot to be desired).  It had been the fall of 2013 since I had serviced it, so I should have dropped it in the spring of 2014.  Before I could get it dropped we had a pretty good wind and I woke up one day to notice there were no blades on the turbine anymore.  We looked pretty hard and found one blade behind my solar collector, but over the last 15 months, never did find the other two blades.  Thankfully I own 30 acres of wooded land, so pretty much know they didn't depart my property.

Anyway, I finally decided it has sat idle for long enough and bought some nice cedar blanks last week to make new blades.  (My wife needed some time and reassurance this would not happen again, blades departing that is).  I will try to get a video of the unit being dropped, as several of you wanted to see what 140 feet of tower looks like dropping to the ground.  I will also be updating the blade attachment to something besides "wood screws".  Haven't come up with that plan yet, but suggestions are welcome.  I need to adapt to the original "shafts" coming out of the variable pitch hub and would like to keep the attachment hardware light and simple.

Tom Sullivan

adobejoe

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
Tom, Interesting posts and sorry you lost your blades. I have two old Jacobs, a 1800 and 2500 watt both needing rebuilding. One governor is fly ball, the other has rotating counterweights, except the three weights are missing. Any leads of parts for these old machines or do I start from scratch?
Adobe Joe
In Windy Wyoming

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
I've seen parts available sometimes, even on this site.  I think the best options are to find a damaged one being sold for parts or fabricating your own.  My experience during the past restoration was to build what I needed to complete it.

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »
Tom,
Welcome back.
I have seen a tower being "dropped".  I dearly hope yours is lowered gently.  :)

Looking forward to it.
www.sparweb.ca

adobejoe

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
I am restoring three 7 ft blade from an old Jacobs. Sanding gently with an orbital sander, paint remover, and a steel wire brush seems to get it down to the wood. There are a number of small pits, grain recesses and edge wear. See pics. Plan to use a clearcoat epoxy in several layers, but not sure if it is recommended to use some wood filler in deeper areas?  Then after say 5 coats a clear length of LE tape, and then one or two more layers?

Am looking at products from aircraft spruce. I know balancing will be important, there were two small weights on two of the blades.

AdobeJoe

adobejoe

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »
here are two pics.