Author Topic: 16+ Volts on LED lighting  (Read 5335 times)

Harold in CR

16+ Volts on LED lighting
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
 I have a few home built LED "Bottle" LED lights. I wrapped strips of LED's around plastic bottle in a spiral and run them at rated 12V +/-. I also have some "bulb shaped" LED's rated at 3.5V that came with resistors. I made up a couple of plastic light bulbs, look like incandescent bulbs, and used them at 12V in our greenhouse. Problem is, after several months of not much usage, a few of these parts are not working. ?

I have a small battery pack of A123 26650 battery cells in 6S8P configuration. That pack runs the computer/UPS/Modem when the power goes off, regularly. Gives me 30 minutes of run time and shut down, so I don't over draw the cells. Soon, I will have a smart phone with Internet WiFi, and not need to be connected to the phone line. Might even shut down the expensive phone line.  ;D

Now, Finally, I have 5 Nissan Leaf Modules rated at 15.2V nominal-16.8 fully charged. These are 4S1P modules with cells being 4.20V full charged. I also have part of a Chevy Volt battery to group with the Leaf modules. All are the same Voltage cells.

Questions I have are, how can I run what I listed using these modules? Is there a way an un educated in electronics person, can add resistors, or someone build a circuit for me, that I would gladly pay for, or, is there some other way to do this ?

Will the UPS charger be sufficient to charge the packs, because, for now, I still use the battery packs for temporary power.

Soon, I will receive my long awaited crate from the USA, it's IN CR at this time, so I can finish up several charging systems I have started. Right now, I run on 12V or so. I plan to charge 24V packs and split the usage, due to light loads and monitor each split off group.

After the first of the year, I want to buy a dependable Inverter. Then, I can run a fridge and everything else in the house, on DC or 120 AC, depending on how I wire up the house. I have plenty of experience with normal electricity. It's this Low Voltage stuff that throws me.

If photos will help, I can obtain some and post here later today.

Thanks for any and all info, ideas, opinions, etc.

Harold in CR
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:40:46 AM by Harold in CR »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: 16+ Volts on LED lighting
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
LED's like a constant current source. There are cheap buck converters out there you can use like the one I used for my 24 volt LED's http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/buckpuck-dc-led-drivers they have other modules for different current draws and voltages, some adjustable.

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:42 AM »

Thanks for the link, Mary

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
I use a lot of the 2596 modules that can be had for little more than a buck shipped. They are fine if you use them for no more than a half amp.   While a LED may like constant current, once you have several in parallel like the LED strips it is a different situation.  Should several LED fail open, the other LED will have more current applied to them.  Constant voltage is fine as long as the LED is not operated near its limit.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-DC-DC-LM2596-Step-Down-Adjustable-Converter-Power-Supply-Module1-3V-35V-/371454062086?hash=item567c632e06

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »

Operahouse, I didn't see any way to adjust the current on those modules. Other modules with CC-CV are just a little more money.

I'm not certain what the current draw is for these strip LED's. The bulb or button type are rated at 3.28v I think, but, no info on the current draw for those, either.

Maybe you can educate me a little to figure the amp draw ??

Thanks for responding.

OperaHouse

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
There are adjustable current versions for a little more money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Module-LM2596-Constant-Current-Voltage-Adjustable-Module-/191015464867?hash=item2c7968afa3

If electronically inclined, a standard 2596 module can also be used.  The regulators sense voltage is 1.25V.  A resistor can be chosen  that produces 1.25V at the desired current in the negative lead.  The sense lead from the resistor goes to the low side of the sense pot.   At about 400ma a half watt is wasted in the resistor.

For a little less loss a PNP resistor can be used to sense on the positive LED side instead

Harold in CR

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

Last night I bought a 10 pack of the devices you recommended. Figured, if I have questions, YOU da man. !!   ;D ;D  Hope to have them before Xmas.

Thank You

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
I've used the CC-CV modules on 10w LED's, up to four units off a laptop power brick... These 8-amp 12/24V PWM twist-knob dimmers http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LED-Light-Lamp-Strip-Dimmer-Brightness-Adjustable-Control-12-24V-8A-/140968532494 can be used two or three per power source, downstream from the CC-CV modules, but get limited by their own line noise.