Author Topic: Motor to Generatpr advice  (Read 1922 times)

stag

Motor to Generatpr advice
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
I am trying to convert an electric motor into a generator. It has 24 coils wired as 4 phase. How many magnet poles should i use to make this work,or could I somehow wire it to be single phase so that the coil/pole ratio is not critical?

joestue

Re: Motor to Generatpr advice
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
do you mean it has 24 slots? almost nothing is 4 phase.. and you might be seeing 4 coils because it is a capacitor run or cap start motor. but rarely are 24 slot induction motors 4 poles. (1750 rpm) they are usually 3500 rpm or two pole machines.

anyhow, pole/coil ratio is critical if you do rewind it.

check this resource out
https://www.emetor.com/edit/windings/
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

stag

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
Thanks! There are 4 wires coming out, so I guess this could mean that there are 4 coils, 24 slots. Does this mean that I am restricted to just 3 magnet poles, or could I use multiples of this . I have only built axial machines before , so Know little about converting motors.

joestue

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
you're stuck with a 2 pole machine unless you rewind it.

If both windings are identical then you could make a 4 pole machine but you'll have to reverse the polarity of half the windings.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

stag

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:10 AM »
 Thanks. When a certain pair of wires are joined,it completes a circuit, so i guess this means 2 poles. Initially we hoped to machine out the rotor and insert magnets as in when converting a car alt to a PMG. Could this be done as it is. If so, How many mags and how to wire the output. Rewinding is beyond our capabilities. Thanks again for your input and patience.