Author Topic: Water Heater Install  (Read 2389 times)

Harold in CR

Water Heater Install
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »

Finally got the crate I was waiting for, and got the Solar water heater mostly installed.

One problem I forgot about, was, I used 3/4" CPVC Temp tolerant tubing and it doesn't fit to the METRIC stuff down here. have to figure a way to attach it to the cold water supply as seen in one of the photos, where the valve is located under the roof overhang.

I added another 2 X 4 Rafter between 2 in the bathroom, and placed it so the metal roofing overlaps the glass panel by 2 1/2" on either side. Cut the one metal panel so it overlaps the glass from above at 6".

Cut a piece of rusty metal panel and placed it on the plywood floor of the collector, ran 2 strips of wood crossways of the metal and set the 8 runs of 3/4" X 76" long tubes that are glued up to manifold type horizontal runners made up of 3/4" "T's" so the water enters the bottom manifold and as it gets heated, it rises to the top manifold, and out of the collector that is mostly seen inside the bathroom. Plywood floor can be covered by paneling, once I get everything working.

I plan to put a "T" in the outflow tube and attach a tube right before the water enters at the inlet area, so, convective action MIGHT allow circulation of the water inside the collector.

Need to get all that plumbing figured out, metric to American, again, and I also want to run a 10' length to the kitchen and install a new faucet with extendable spout for filling large pots. Then we can have hot water in the kitchen sink.

We is gittin modern !!  ;D ;D

phil b

Re: Water Heater Install
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
Your going to enjoy that after it is done Harold!
Gary has a website that might help with issues other than metric to NPT fittings. http://builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm There are plenty of thermosyphon systems there.

As far as metric to NPT, you may be able to find a NPT tap that can be used to ream out the holes in the tank. Conversion pipe fitting are rare here. I've had to do the same thing.

Phil

Harold in CR

Re: Water Heater Install
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

Hi Phil
 What I usually do, is, figure out everything I need, and have my Son send things down in a crate. The metric thing I just flat forgot about.

I DID make an adapter. I found that a 3/4" size WHITE PVC coupling could be tapped over a YELLOW CPVC fitting by just scraping the inside of the WHITE fitting using a utility knife and being very careful.

Worked out fine. White fittings don't get soft like the white tubing.

Sometimes, one gets lucky.

This thing makes plenty of hot water, by 9AM, before the clouds start forming. I plan to have 2 pieces of SS cut to size and bent 2 sides on each piece, and weld them up with SS Mig wire. Fit one over the other and it makes a box. I will put SS couplings in for the 3 fittings and do the recirculating at the tank.