Author Topic: Building a 6kw pure sine wave inverter using power jack boards part2 the guts..  (Read 64121 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Okay, got the software, (gave them/domated $10).

Followed the process etc, reminds me of the Old DOS days uploading CAD libraries,  and I uploaded the 'Blink' Sketch and got that working.

Spent sometime however, trying to find out how to stop the Blink, blinking. Did the close, did the Quit, but me thinks the 'Blink' sketch is now permanently in the Mega, until I do something about it. Which unfortunately I could not find any simple clear info on.

But getting there....
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Loading the next sketch will overwrite the blink sketch.

It's all there in Flash until you replace it!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

clockmanFRA

Thanks Damon.

Loading the next sketch will overwrite the blink sketch.

It's all there in Flash until you replace it!

Rgds

Damon

They are very good at telling you how to get started. But, I like to know how to stop and go backwards. lol  :D

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

dgd

• Never do today what can be done tomorrow
    • Lory Link
.. on the SD card now, nice to find some use for Windows Notepad.

Ok, so when the SD card is in its carrier and in you PC then open the SD card and double click on the saved file index.htm that you have just copied on to the mini SD card.
Your PC will recognize this as an html5 file and display it using its web  browser (IE9, firefox etc) then if the copy worked ok you should see the gauges page displayed on screen.
If its messed up or not displaying then you need to recheck tohe saved file for broken/missing lines.
You should also copy a nice background jpg image onto the sd card and rename it ozinverter.jpg

dgd
Off grid since 4/2000
Midnite C150,C250,Clipper, 2.8Kw PV, 2Kw turbine,1025Ah24v FLA (1999), SW3024E (1997), 3q16 48v300Ah LiFeYPO4 6Kw OzInverter, Arduino DUE web monitor.

clockmanFRA

SD card when opened just comes up with the Code as copied from your earlier post here.

Re-tried, re-copied but just the code, even in my IE10 the Explorer just comes with code as you posted.

dgd

• Lory Link
I assume you saved the file somewhere on your PC?
Using Notepad open the file then save as index.html
Make sure it is saved as file type .html
then double mouse click on the filename and your web browser should open it and display it
If all you are seeing is text then its probably saved as a .txt file or .doc file

dgd
Off grid since 4/2000
Midnite C150,C250,Clipper, 2.8Kw PV, 2Kw turbine,1025Ah24v FLA (1999), SW3024E (1997), 3q16 48v300Ah LiFeYPO4 6Kw OzInverter, Arduino DUE web monitor.

sean_ork

Perhaps the association of .HTML files has been changed.

Shift, and right clicking the file with give the "open with" option.

clockmanFRA

Ok dgd, saved as html.....

First screen shot photo shows what I get now ..... just the rectangular guage ?.

Second shows, note pad about to get your code from your post on page 2....... I have some choices? Unicode?

Third shows about to create your code into html....... again choices of Unicode?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Also:
IF notepad keeps insisting on making it a *.txt file.
You can open a DOS command and rename it.
CMD [press enter button]
rename index.txt[space button once] index.html "though I normally do
copy index.txt[space button once]index.html
[press enter button]
that fixes the save as issue too.
ClockmanFRA I know you're more up on renames or copies, but there could be others watching that may not be.  ;)

Cheers
Bruce S
YES! I'm following along as I'm messing around with  one of the clones too. Much easier to code than the Pi I have.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

clockmanFRA

Roger Bruce,.......... that's why I am showing screen shots of me getting/ wading through this stuff.

dgd

• Lory Link
Clockman,
When saving from Notepad I use the default ANSI encoding.
Looks interesting the various filenames and extensions you ended up with but you got the index.html eventually
and its being executed by your web browser.
The SVG box (the green box) is good but the gauge code seems not to be working. Yet from what I see of it on your screenshot it looks as though it is ok and not broken.
I'm not sure what web browser you are using but this html code runs good on my Windows 10 laptop using Firefox and also the version of IE provided with W10 (also works on my Ipad4, Iphone5,W8 laptop iwth firefox and IE).
In fact I have not seen it fail with any browser but I don't have any PC running OS older than W7.
The version you are using may not support the html <canvas> command (if its quite old!).

And just to make sure all was ok I copied the code as posted here previously into a Notepad window, saved ANSI as indexozzy.html then using file explorer to show it and double clicked on the filename and my firefox displayed it completely with green SVG box and the five canvas round gauges
So it definitely works  :)
dgd
Off grid since 4/2000

Phred

caveat emptor
I have ordered controller & driver board some 5 months ago. They have my money but are not sending the items always asking for information. Email Negotiation in good faith is fruitless. Poweronlinesale put a lock on my ebay purchase so a dispute could not be raised in the 30 day ebay window. Now I cannot leave a neg feedback. So Beware with this mob

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Call ebay and explain what happened! They CAN fix it and force a refund. If the first person tells you no ask for a supervisor. They tell you no ask for their supervisor!

clockmanFRA

Hi Phred,

Yes getting these boards is becoming a problem and I think PJ may have caught on.

I think PJ had no problem selling a few boards here and there, but I suspect there is little profit in selling these as I doubt they actually make these boards themselves, especially against the profit margins in assembling and selling their own Inverters, coughs & splutters!.

I have just checked, and the PJ LF, 15kw, 48vdc 230vac, 50HZ, pure sine wave boards are out of stock, The folk/agent you are dealing with, have NO boards at all for sale , they are supposed to be operating from Taiwan since 2008.

Each time I get some 15kW boards through these scattered around the globe agents, they actually always get delivered direct from PJ , PowerJack, DONGGANG, DALANG, CHINA.

If you are having difficulty obtaining these boards then contact ….. ‘OTW' said ….. "For anyone wanting boards, Cher at PJ is very very helpful and I recommending getting in touch with her directly. powerjack.cher )@( gmail dot com "

120v 15kW boards are still available from ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121372307145?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=420314377003&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If only we could produce a comparable board our selves? ?????  Now that would be the Icing on the cake. !
Then that would be true World Wide Personal empowerment and self-improvement, with a cost effective, Robust, Open Source, Renewable Energy, OzInverter .

I DREAM...............

clockmanFRA

Okay dgd.

It seems html file has lots of stuff in it that most I Explorers will automatically block.

The first Screen shot shows what I get, at the bottom of the screen there is a bar that says things are blocked, but press here and all is Okay, it goes in a few seconds.
I only found this on my slow laptop when I shoved the SD card in it, its a re-conditioned cheap job that I use for altering my SMA GTI's stuff with a special Bluetooth arrangement. The warning /blocked bar comes and goes very slowly on my Laptop.
On my PC, that bar comes and goes in a blink of an eye.

And they we are dgd.... Its UP....yes, jpeg image 185k for background in on the SD card now.

dgd

• Lory Link
Ok, progress  :)
Now the html page displays properly with your web browser it needs to be copied to the SD card but the filename needs to be index.htm and NOT index.html  This is because the Arduino ethernet lib only deals with 3 character filename extensions hence .htm instead of .html
Also test on your pc that the background jpg image named ozinverter.jpg loads by placing it in the same directory that you have the index.html file.
Now you have a procedure for loading and testing any updates to html files that are posted  ;D

One more set of testing html5 code and an example xml file is posted over in the Microcontrollers/Ozinverter area
so you could try to get that working as well with your PC.

dgd
Off grid since 4/2000

Phred

Having been doing a bit of reading to come up to speed on large power inverters. This design looks very good but there are 3 questions that come to mind. Firstly can someone post the output waveforms @ the transistor stage and the 240v side of the transformer. The second question is to do with efficiency. Powerjack's claim it to be in the 90's but some people they are lucky to achieve 75%. This may explain the need for big fan. The last one is the most critical for how long can the unit provide 6kw endurance with very large battery bank.

clockmanFRA

Hi Phred,

All what you ask, is explained in my booklet...... "Making a Low cost, simple and robust 6kW, 50HZ Pure Sine Wave, 48vdc to 230vac, OzINVERTER".

I have put all the information that is out there, 'Open Source' including all relevant info from 'oztules' 60,000 words on the subject.

"A comprehensive, easy-to-follow, 76pp A4 working document, in full colour, including 160 colour photographs of the complete process, and 12 detailed diagrams & technical drawings."

I am awaiting The Mrs to do the page on our Web site, that links the necessary ordering system.

But if you go through 'oztules' stuff on the OzInverter, PowerJack etc, you will find the answers. Start......
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148717.0.html

and.............. http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,1044.0.html?PHPSESSID=h7jd5l4edljl6k4ls18pgfj4i1

In summary.. Get the toroid correct, get the connections correct, get the cooling system correct, get the Boards in right...... Do it all properly..... and It will do 6kW for some time if the batteries can take it, but it will also do even bigger/huge loads for a short time. And even better it low cost than a commercially obtainable Inverter at the same ratings.

clockmanFRA

PJ Boards....... Using others.....

A helpful tip......

"You can use the 15kw 110v mainboards as the 240v version ( no difference that I can see) , and a 8kw 240/220v card for the controller, if you want to push it some current bypass will take it higher, or damp the voltage from the CT slightly.     ...........oztules"

Phred

Call ebay and explain what happened! They CAN fix it and force a refund. If the first person tells you no ask for a supervisor. They tell you no ask for their supervisor!
Ebay could not help as this had gone on for 5 months claimed via paypal that had 6 months protection. The last refund is coming as the seller failed to respond to the factitious tracking number.

Phred

PJ Boards....... Using others.....

A helpful tip......

"You can use the 15kw 110v mainboards as the 240v version ( no difference that I can see) , and a 8kw 240/220v card for the controller, if you want to push it some current bypass will take it higher, or damp the voltage from the CT slightly.     ...........oztules"
I have given up getting any PJ boards. Since then looked @ some utube tests on PJ inverters. Inverters labeled as 6kw barely produce 1-2kw continuous. I can understand why Ozitules used 15kw boards for his 6kw design. My order now is from another manufacture for DIY boards If appears more promising than PJ as the Documentation is supplied. The basic configuration is only 1kw but this can be expanded using more mosfets in // like in the PJ. So Ozitules transformer is still in the planned inverter. Will post when a 1kw trial is made with plenty of photos

oztules

• Village idiot
No.

The 15kw and 8kw and 6kw boards are basically the same, except the heat sinks and caps on the 15kw are bigger and same for the 8 to 6, so cooling is much better.
The thing that holds back my inverter from running more than 6-7kw continuous is the transformer size without excessive cooling.

These transformers are bigger than most of the name brand stuff,.... which makes me question their figures too.... they must be pushing the temperature envelope, or their idea of continuous must only be 30 mins or so.

The 15kw boards are easy to keep cool at  high levels, but the transformers need to be even bigger again to go higher power than 5-6kw and stay below 60C, without dedicated cooling.

The reason I stopped at this point, is I cant supply 6kw continuous. Yes it does the 10-15kw in short bursts, but the batteries will go on strike if I tried to keep that up for too long.

As a general rule, houses use only 500w on average, bursts of 2-4kw for a few hours are normal here, but after that 10000w start up for big induction motors is normal ,but running is only 1.5-3000watts, and this means that a 6kw unit is ample for anything I can ask of it.

Everything in the house can be turned on at the same time ( inc hot water) and not bother it... it seems easily big enough already.

The PJ boards have been proven to be very tough in these designs..... in the PJ arrangement, almost nothing is right. Transformers are way too small but for the short burst of 5-10 mins at max.. even then their transformers will o/heat... but the electronics seem to take it easily.

It is the lousy PJ build  and quality control that caused me to modify them, but I won't say their boards are rubbish when they are not.

As you know I have moved on from them to my new designs with the egs002 using the 8010 chips. This is proving to be an amazing combination, and is as tough as the PJ cards now they have been modded too. This is the direction I will be moving, as I will build the thing from scratch soon without the EGS002 board......... then we need not blame the suppliers for anything... just ourselves....In fact I  was running the big old mig welder again today... still gobsmacked at how well this new design is running.... but at 2days old, it only has 20kwh under it's belt in the last 2 days testing.... we will see how it goes longer term... but I feel confident..... thrown everything at it I have access to, and I can't stall it or blow it up.

For readers, the whole story is here http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,1116.0.html
Interesting read if you want to make very high powered pure sine inverters for peanuts.
Have the 8010 chips now, waiting for the driver chips, and the new scratch build will start.

Will be interested in your endeavours on your new boards.... or are they the egs002's. If so, you should end up with a very very useful tool.

I have so many high power inverters now, I don't know why I am doing this anymore really...... just the village idiot I guess

Here are pics of the inverter and a 4kw load in testing.
The inverter pic is the initial test picture, now it sports much heavier wiring in the 240v lines

9587-1

................oztules

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:21:27 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

oztules

• Village idiot
Phred pics you asked for:

The unit had been running the house for the last three or so days... no problem, so time to go out and try to take pics with elcheapo tablet camera

Set up the scope using 24v transformer as the output source, while still running the house.

Here is the waveform under 3kw of stress.
9607-0
Not sure why there is a gap in the wave in the pic, it is not there in real life, so I guess it must be interaction with the scanning rate of the camera... looks weird.
Note there is no clipping, which surprises me as the primary is only 16mmsq.... I would have thought it would sag under 3kw loads... but no looks fine.

There is some cross over distortion there, but not enough to bother with, and I have not even bothered to get a filter on the output yet... apart from the 4uf shaping caps.

power reading here:
9608-1

this is the welder I use to stress test inverters.... if they can drive this full power, then they are worthy contenders.... this one can.. easily from the looks of it.
9609-2

Now full of pride, i went inside to post this, and boiled the 3kw kettle... so now running at over 6kw.... then power went off......... hmmmmm.

Went outside with mixed feelings, this has been running so well, and here it failed... or  at last, I can find a weak spot, and see if we can improve it.

Well it was a complete let down as far as improvement was concerned... the 68 amp o/loader had given up. It had been running in excess of 68 amps for too long.... and trying to push it to 125 amps to boil the kettle on top of the 65 to run the house was just too much for 2 mins.... which is about right for this style of overloader.

Reset the o/load, and all was well again.

So we have had a highly inductive long spark failure mode, and it just didn't care... starting to really like this thing.... seems unkillable.
Still running on the 68a o/load, but may soon upgrade to 140amp one... but the transfromer is still to small really to do that, it is really only a 3kw torroid, and even then with an undersize primary.... it was only to be a quick test.

................oztules
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:36:45 PM by oztules »

jan04

Hi there,
I had a little time and used it for some experiments. I built a new trafo, I think it's good enough for 5kW continuous. To this a new board of 15kW and
I added a controller of an 3kW inverter.
It's time to built the current bypass, so that the main chip supports the wanted over 5kW power.
Now I'm a little bit confused. ‘Cause I read by oztules that he measured at the CT a cross section of 2 sq mm. So I also checked on the 3kW controller, there are two-hand 1.2 sq mm; in sum 2.25 sq mm.
It seems that all CT's on the controllers are nearly the same. Only the chip is encoded equal to the bought power rating.
Now my question is:  How do I calculate the bypass?
Ohms Low doesn't help in anyway, because the adjust resistor on the controller is populated in a different way.
Furthermore the CT seems to be a limited factor, according to the current rating table for a 2.5 sq mm core at 50° C is allowed a max 30A flow. But 30A aren't even 7 kW.
What is your opinion? At which power rate will I get in trouble?

jan

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:08:33 AM by jan04 »

joestue

one option is add a second ct to divide the current.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

oztules

• Village idiot
Jan04...........Use a torroid CT coil, so no current needs to pass the actual board...... the boards below use one instead of the CT from the PJ.

OK here are some pics, bill of material, pdf, and pics of the latest version.

It works first up, with no problems so far.... and I don't expect any..
This is probably the end of the road with this version.... works exceptionally well.

Next is the three chip version, followed by the pic chip version... and maybe the three phase version.

http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,1116.msg11540.html#msg11540

Hope it is useful to someone somewhere.

I have not seen an inverter that can best this thing at driving all and any load or starting any equipment... simply amazing.

This will interface directly with the board Clockman is doing in this thread.... http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148953.msg1037068.html#msg1037068

then just add batteries and transformer.

..............oztules

jan04

oztules: "It works first up, with no problems so far.... and I don't expect any.."

... i see, indeed the circuit is very simple. i think it get envolved to be a big nail on powerjack coffin  ;D
i'm just in a hurry to order a couple of egs002

tnks
jan

oztules

• Village idiot
Ok we have moved right along since then

I have settled on this for the time being.
It does everything I want, others may want more/less.

1. It has on/off via pin 6
2. It has temp input as well for disaster situations where fan fails and temp gets out of hand
3. It has off board pins for power led
4. It has off board pins for status led
5. It uses a current transformer coil
6. It uses an isolation transformer for the voltage feed back.
7. It uses a simple voltage supply using the TIP35c... simple, and effective and fails off not on.

There are two things that I don't like particularly.

1. The voltage drifts in the first few minutes from say set 230 to 234v... then stabilizes rock solid at 234 or whatever you set for  plus 4 v after the first  5 minutes.

Can't find what is heating this up or what ever causes it. The heat gun makes no difference once stable... so maybe not heat but what else I can't say.
It is stupid simple, which makes finding the fault either dirt simple or impossible. ( inside chip)

2.If you slowly raise the voltage of the supply from 0v to 50v or so slowly, the chip hangs.... no idea why...but it is internal, and does it when you slowly introduce the power to it.
If you splat the terminals which is pretty standard, then no problems forever while it is connected to batteries.
I use a 10 ohm resistor to avoid the splat, and this is fine too, but if you go to say 100r, then it will charge up, but no action... so keep in mind.

Neither of these two problems are show stoppers by a long long way. The plus attributes easily out weigh these foibles, but they need to be mentioned.

Apart form that, these things are quick and simple to build, and run beautifully... and create no fuss , but just run anything thrown at them... really remarkable little devices.

I won't be going any further, as I cant see what else you could ask for in a home inverter. Those that like lots of bells and whistles designed to make them look very complex will be disappointed... they are simple, and work as well... in fact better than all I have encountered as a straight inverter.

It draws a very modest idle current ( 30 watts or so), and go for excursions over 10kw without any worry.... very very versatile.

Ok here is the final PCB I will use from now on

The board complete

9839-0

top left

9840-1

top right

9841-2

bottom left

9842-3

bottom right

9843-4

next post......

..... oztules

oztules

• Village idiot
Ok, the board proper.
1. The wires coming away from the little pins are the on/off pins.
2. The pins beside the led are the led off board pins for status.
3. The pins on the outside of the board next to the heat sink is the temp pins for a 10k@25c ntc.
4. The pins next to them nearer the chip board is the power on led... registers the 5v from the regulator.the chip side of the two pins .

Note... if you don't intend to use the temp pins, ground the temp pin ( the one thats not the 5v ). I suggest you use the pin and a ntc 10k@25c for a safety net in case of fan failure for whatever reason.

9849-0

It took a few boards to get here.... and they all work too....

And here in a aerosharp 3kw box for a little 4kw unit... still runs the house totally, and pulls 10kw start up power. very hard to beat .
Here it is running the house, and the hot water is on from the looks of it.. bit over 3kw

9846-2

And here with a few more kw... not much movement with the voltage really... It was to be a 240v machine, but I settled for 232v for better power usage.. not much of a change electrically, but saves the battery a bit of pain when these loads come on that are resistive in  nature. otherwise it would be over the 5kw by quite a margin for the hot water, electric jug fridge freezer tv and wall warts etc... all are on in this instance. That 8 or 10v means nothing to all other appliances, but it does take some of the shock out of it for the battery.

9847-3

It just works so well..... really....

Here is the pdf generated from the pcb program

* 80109f.pdf (69.43 kB - downloaded 389 times.)

It is unipolar at the moment, and I may have a stab at bipolar next, although nothing to gain except slight noise reduction perhaps, but have to try just to explore the last thing i can with this thing... it truly is amazing.

................oztules
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:08:59 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
This may help too

9850-0

Gerbers... maybe help too.

* 80109f.GTO (66.72 kB - downloaded 279 times.)
* 80109f.GTL (4.62 kB - downloaded 271 times.)
* 80109f.GPM (4.54 kB - downloaded 241 times.)
* 80109f.GBL (34.39 kB - downloaded 236 times.)

...........oztules
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:16:21 PM by oztules »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
How is it for RFI when you use a shortwave radio near it?

oztules

• Village idiot
Lousy if you don't use a filter on the output of the transformer Mary

.........oztules

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Not good then... I searched long and hard for RFI quiet inverters... considering I can hear my own return echo off the moon on 2 meter ham radio I have very sensitive receivers!