Author Topic: Fun investigating E27 LED lamps  (Read 6784 times)

OperaHouse

Fun investigating E27 LED lamps
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:13 AM »
I've just been playing with some cheap 120V E27 9W LED lamps. A Philips for $2.50 easily runs at low power with a .05uF capacitor in series or a 70,000 ohm resistor. That is like a neon lamp! I have one in the basement operating at milliwatt power levels so the dog can see the steps at night. Looking with a scope it is a simple full wave bridge with a resistor in series and a smoothing cap. The current spike indicates a capacitor being charged. Turn on is at about 80V so these lamps could be used with a boost converter with that much DC voltage. I tried operating the lamp with a diode in series to create half wave rectification. This is not only a simple method for dimming but indicates a capacitor is not used in place of a dropping resistor.  Top trace is current and lower is voltage.  This lamp would start to illuminate at 60VDC.

Tried a capacitor in series with a $2 Zilotek in an identical looking package. That unit would repeatedly flash at about a half second rate. That would have been nice for Holoween. Obviously this has an electronic ballast that waits for a capacitor to charge up before the inverter starts.  I thought with an inverter circuitthe starting voltage might be a lot lower.  However, it would only start once it reached 90VDC and after that itneeded 75V to maintain an on condition.

A capacitor in series with a $3.50 FEIT 7.3W failed to light at all. That unit would not turn on till 115VDC was reached.  The transition to on was smoth and likely does not have any active electronics. It likely hasan anti ghosting resistor to prevent the lamp from lighting due to capacitive effects.  In another 3.5W spot the anti ghosting resistor consumed about a quarter watt. This lamp obviously has a LED string of over 100V.

I imagine that these LED lamps will suffer some of the same issues as the low cost CFL lamps. Both lamps with plastic bases have a 9-10 year rated life expectancy with three hours use a day. That indicates they know the LED is being over driven at a high temperature. The base of the lamps get quite hot and only has plastic to transfer heat.  The FEIT has a finned metal base and at least makes an effort to remove heat from the LED.  I don't remember the declared operating life on the packaging, but it seemed a lot longer like double that of the other two lamps.  In just this small sample of lamps it was interesting to see totally different design approaches.

OperaHouse

Re: Fun investigating E27 LED lamps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »
I tried to attach a 53K JPF file to the first post for a couple days and it would not post because it said it was too large.  I just tried to do just the picture in another post and that failed.  Tried to post just a comment in another post and got this message.

There are attachments found, which you have attached before but not posted. These attachments are now attached to this post. If you do not want to include them in this post, you can remove them

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
Your not alone....get the same message when I try to post a pict. Off of this dam I phone...perhaps it's time to allow bigger pict. Uploads....even with a 56k modem..it's really not that slow...ho hum.....😜
WILD in ALASKA

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Hi,

I think something has broken with the upload facility.  Please stay tuned to this frequency...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
Same trouble here, with uploading pictures of any size/type.

Hopefully Damon can shed some light on OperaHouse's LED's.

::)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
I'm looking round for a grown-up...  %-P

Have to go to bed now, but will try to make some time in the morning to look at this...  I assume that we've filled something up...

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
Hi All,

Im looking into this, we have the ability to increase upload size, I working with Damon on this.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Ok you guys should be able to upload now, I increased the quota to 3 times it was for attachments.

OperaHouse

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
I'm sorry, you didn't beat the reaper.

Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
Try to post that picture again, lets see if it works now, what size is your picture. we have the space. Im just trying to figure out whats going on with these attachments
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:48:19 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
Im Getting same error,

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
Same error here as well.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Im wondering how long this condition has been going on. Recently DanF was given the Cpanel pass and user. Last he told me he was doing a forum back up.

Now theres something going on with the package manager I can not reactivate the photo mod, because something is un writeable. Ive contacted Matt and hopefully we can get this resolved easily.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 12:50:13 AM »
Thanks JW.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
Ok lets see if the attach pictures is working again

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Looks good let me know about any other issue you may come across

JW

OperaHouse

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
Top trace is current, note it starts at about 80V.  Bottom is voltage not to scale.

swarakulkarni

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
I endeavored to connect a 53K JPF record to the main post for a few days and it would not post since it said it was excessively vast. I simply attempted to do only the image in another post and that fizzled. Endeavored to post only a remark in another post and got this message.

There are connections discovered, which you have joined previously yet not posted. These connections are currently appended to this post. On the off chance that you would prefer not to incorporate them in this post, you can expel them

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 08:10:39 AM »
There are limits on what you can post as a new user.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social