Author Topic: standby generator project  (Read 1495 times)

Project

standby generator project
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
I have been gone from this website for many years and wow, things have come along way. The last time I was here the first 17' wind turbine was just finishing up and I built 2 almost just like it. They are still up and going today with just a little yearly greasing. My latest project is a wood gas standby generator. The gasifier works great but the problem that I, along with most others, is you have to over build due to the loss in HP going from gasoline to woodgas. An AC generator head has to maintain a very stable RPM or frequency fluctuates alot which got me thinking. If I were to build a large alternator, I could rectify from 3 phase AC to 48v DC and then to a pure sign wave inverter. I know that there will be a lot of loss in going from ac/dc/ac but it is only for stand by that doesnt rely on making 60 mile round trips through the mountains in ice and snow to transport gasoline, andto be honest, its just another fun project. My goal is to end up with 240vac @ 40a. I was thinking about a large diameter alternator that I could turn with engine power instead of wind. With a little gearing I could predict my rpm and the little variance that comes with burning the wood gas will have no effect on the final outcome. I know there are some really smart ppl here so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated..

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: standby generator project
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
Use of a large heavy flywheel can help even out your RPM changes too.

Project

Re: standby generator project
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
A large enough axial would act a lot like a flywheel. I could even run 2 on the same shaft. I just have to come up with a design that I can run continuous for a couple days without overheating.