Author Topic: Stove conversion to LP. Easy as ...........  (Read 4768 times)

OperaHouse

Stove conversion to LP. Easy as ...........
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
I got a fairly recent Maytag gas stove last year and started to convert it to 12V operation.  I abandoned it when I figured out it took 400W to power the oven glow bar anytime gas to the oven was flowing.  This year I was tired of using the RV 3 burner stove where really only two can be used.  I figured use the oven for storage and move the RV oven to the porch and bake out there when needed.  Not hard to get used to, at home the oven is in the basement.

I converted a gas furnace before and was used to the idea of switching springs and burner orifices.  Expected the same for the stove although I couldn't see why they couldn't come up with a system for LP ant natural gas.   Removed one of the burner  orifices to see what threading they used (brought a bunch of orifices with me)  There appeared to be a second conical orifice with two flat sides for gas bypass and a smaller port.  This implied that if you tightened up the jet it would use the smaller orifice.

Looked at the regulator and there was a sticker saying for LP conversion see sheet TIP-1N.   Off to the internet to see if I needed a new spring.  Never could find TIP-1N but found a utube video converting a Majic Chef, same oven.  Just tighten down the burners as I thought and invert the brass spring cap on the regulator to put more pressure on the spring (going from 4 inches of water to 10 in pressure.   

I mounted an inverter on the back to provide power to the igniter.  It is turned on by the switch of the burner knob.  This parallels the switch of the inverter.  The 700W inverter is only temporary.  Somewhere I got a mini 150W inverter with a bad FET that is just right for this.   The oven light was replaced with a LED so I have some chance of finding stuff stored in the oven.  Easy as, well not pie.  Still can't bake a pie.  Some day a real gas stove will fall in my lap with a pilot light for the oven.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Stove conversion to LP. Easy as ...........
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
that 400w is only during the ignition process usualy.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
No, the igniter is in series with the gas valve.  Should the igniter fail the gas valve closes.   A simple fail safe system.  This oven also has electric heaters that come on until the oven gets nearly up to temperature.  Hardly rates being called a gas stove.  I could rig up a flame detect or make a pilot light.  Not a priority at this time.  The great compost pile of consumerism will provide something for free if I wait.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:48:45 PM »
wtf I'd toss some thing like that back tot he garbage heap!

The one I had used a hot surface igniter and a flame sensore for the fail safe.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!