Remote Living > Housing

Insulation & moisture control questions?

<< < (3/3)

sean_ork:

--- Quote from: PNW_Steve on February 05, 2016, 11:51:02 AM ---Well I have been reading up on the MHRV and if I understand correctly it "preserves the indoor moisture".

I don't quite get that as when you remove the heat from the interior air the moisture should drop out of suspension.

I wonder if some sort of home brew air to air heat exchanger would be effective?

On another note: Since I moved the dehumidifier into the bedroom we are sleeping much more comfortably. I was a bit puzzled reading that I should "preserve inside humidity for the sake of comfort and efficiency". That seems backwards to me. Cool & dry=comfy, cool & damp=clammy, warm & dry=comfy, warm & damp=muggy...

--- End quote ---

Perhaps a single room MHRV in the bedroom will help, that's where you spend a significant period of the day.

There's plenty of similar units available but here's a reasonable overview.

http://www.earth.org.uk/MHRV-Vent-Axia-Lo-Carbon-Tempra-P-REVIEW.html

PNW_Steve:

--- Quote from: sean_ork on February 05, 2016, 04:57:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: PNW_Steve on February 05, 2016, 11:51:02 AM ---Well I have been reading up on the MHRV and if I understand correctly it "preserves the indoor moisture".

I don't quite get that as when you remove the heat from the interior air the moisture should drop out of suspension.

I wonder if some sort of home brew air to air heat exchanger would be effective?

On another note: Since I moved the dehumidifier into the bedroom we are sleeping much more comfortably. I was a bit puzzled reading that I should "preserve inside humidity for the sake of comfort and efficiency". That seems backwards to me. Cool & dry=comfy, cool & damp=clammy, warm & dry=comfy, warm & damp=muggy...

--- End quote ---

Perhaps a single room MHRV in the bedroom will help, that's where you spend a significant period of the day.

There's plenty of similar units available but here's a reasonable overview.

http://www.earth.org.uk/MHRV-Vent-Axia-Lo-Carbon-Tempra-P-REVIEW.html

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the recommendation.

I had read in some of the MHRV information that they "preserve the inside moisture for comfort and efficiency". The info you linked speaks to removing excess moisture.  It makes sense to me that it would remove moisture but the info I am looking at is a bit contradictory.

Does anyone know of a US dealer for the MHRV above?

sean_ork:
They'll help maintain a humidity level of around  50% approx - they won't constantly be trying to lower the humidity.

"Preserves the indoor moisture" might be a rather odd way of saying a similar thing.

joestue:
So my experience with a dehumidifier in my shed is that it seems the latent heat of condensation you get for free, free as in the coefficient of production of the dehumidifier, which should be at least 2. What i'm saying is it seemed to me that the dehumidifier heated the room up quicker than a 1500 watt resistive heater.I think it was a 50 pint unit, probably pulled 500 watts at the outlet.

has this been your experience?

i found a guy who did the math here.. http://www.iwilltry.org/b/heat-your-home-with-a-dehumidifier/

i thought for sure they were more efficient than what he calculated though.

DamonHD:
1) Not all dehumdifiers have a humidity stat; mine doesn't.

2) Yes, the sort of dehumidifier you describe (and that I have) does act as a heat pump, though I believe that the CoP is likely to be less than 2.

Rgds

Damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version