Author Topic: Interesting solar tracker setup  (Read 2656 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Interesting solar tracker setup
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
I get these guys catalog(lot of mechanical goodies) and ran across this http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/DC-Gearmotors/DC-Gearmotors/24-VDC-SOLFOCUS-SLEWING-DRIVE-ROTARY-ACTUATOR-5-1843.axd would make a really heavy duty tracker for those who need one. Not cheap but 2 axis drive.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Interesting solar tracker setup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:01:57 AM »
It weighs in at 800lb / 363kg...   1/16th RPM... 

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:10:48 AM »
If you are doing a 3kw to 4kw tracker, then GET THEM units quick that's cheap.

I would if I were in the US.

800lb base unit looks good, especially if you consider that my 2kw trackers are 450lbs with the PV panels on, the design is not my recommended design for trackers as the main loading is allways on the rotating point......but something to experiment with.

Normally the actuator and the actuator fixing points to the frame, need some serious consideration and are always a nuisance to get the design geometry correct, as these take the full loadings of the storm winds.

One of my trackers, cost me about $800 material costs, but excludes the PV panels.

So that 800lb lump, if it works right, looks real nice as a base unit to play with.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:19:31 AM by clockmanFRA »
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »
Correction: Shipping weight is 800lb / 363kg so that includes 40-60 pounds / 18-27kg of pallet, cardboard & banding...

Construction looks to be hot-dipped galvanized plate - their suggested actuator is stamped China made so those motors - gearboxes might be the worst liability.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
I saw quite a few if the gearmotors on ebay after I did a search last night... I also think these were used for mirror tracking in a solar thermal plant.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
That price is a steel, so far I have the up down part of the tracker built, I been working on a good slew drive for asmith, here the sun has a very steep arc so the up and down is most crittical atm, then the azmith would just further improve things.

If I had the cash I'd be jumping on them my self.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:31:36 PM »
I have sent them an email on stuff and made offers. Got a couple gas tanks I use to up my generator fuel supply to 12 gallons.