Author Topic: Heat Tranfer Fluid  (Read 4643 times)

adobejoe

Heat Tranfer Fluid
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
Looking at heat transfer fluid (glycol equivalent) for a closed loop solar hot water heating system. Found some organic based (corn) fluids that claim excellent heat transfer and good to minus 16 deg F and over 250 deg F. Anyone heard of this or can recommend something?
AdobeJoe

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Heat Tranfer Fluid
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
What is the range of temps you will likely see? Organic sounds like trouble. If you cook sugars they caramalize. You would never get the system clean of them again.

How much fluid are you going to need? Propylene glycol is non-toxic (unlike ethylene glycol, which is metabolized into formadehyde).

PG is what most modern animal/environmentally safe automobile atifreeze is made of, but both ethylene and propylene glcol require anti-oxidants and occasional replacement to keep them from corroding the materials the heat transfer system is made of.

Glycerol is also an excellent coolant that is non-toxic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

adobejoe

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
Our ambient temps can reach minus 20 in the winter, although this winter we just dipped below zero. Summer highs can get over 100 deg. Will look into this glycerol. may be just the ticket for a radiant slab application. Volume likely less then five gallon.

adobejoe

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
There are several commercial products out there. One is termed "corn glycol" but only warranted to minus 16 F. And corn has sugars so I am a bit leary of that one. Others out there, maybe a propylene glycol which I think is what is used in RV's.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/7EAE2E4A7417F82F80257EE4004458A6/$File/BPXE-A3SPPE.pdf

non-toxic, no sca prefill, 4 years minimum life before testing, premixed - ready to go
made for diesels and farm equipment.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »
JW That's mineral oil. Non toxic, non corrosive, low viscosity. A good choice.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/7EAE2E4A7417F82F80257EE4004458A6/$File/BPXE-A3SPPE.pdf

This fixes the broken url in my post above. From the ending it's a pdf. 44kb

Eraser3000

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »
I recommend CoastalGuard . Its an antifreeze mix with corrosion inhibitors in it and its available 5 gallons or drum. Because its used by industry the price is right.

I get mine at my local store.  Their website:  www.coastalchem.com

I started my system buying the stuff that Menards sells 5 gallon's at a time, but it costs more than double.