Logged in users > User Diaries

Any other home brewers on here?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: madlabs on May 17, 2016, 10:16:03 AM ---Mary,

2000 gallons?! There goes my bubble!

Yep, it goes faster then folks might think. I had partners in brewing, so was often only keeping a half or third. And we used to brew for friend's weddings and special occasions. Nothing wrong with extract brewing, I like whole grain brewing because it is cheaper! And you do get some more control over flavor.

Guess not too many brewers here. I'm surprised.

Jonathan

--- End quote ---
I still brew  ;D , just not so much anymore. 5 gals of 190P does my house for an entire year.
Beer I used to do as well, just got out of the habit when a "small" party led to even my stash being drained  :'(

Mary B:
Look here, they have lots of kits with everything included but the bottles and caps. People use 5 gallon buckets and lids with airlocks for fermenting now, or carboys but they are a pain to clean! http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits if you click a kit then the more information tab the pdf instructions have the recipes listed!

--- Quote from: Smithson on May 17, 2016, 11:12:38 AM ---    Hi:    I used to brew beer in the 70's.  It wasn't in any of these new fangled brew equipment but just in a 10 gallon crock.   I was never to happy with the crock as a friend sold it with a crack in the side of the crock that he had epoxied. I was always afraid that could be poisoning me so stopped until I could get a better crock.  I recently bought a new crock cheap but have since lost the recipe.  I used a can of malt and sugar, yeast etc.  if anyone knows the recipe please leave me a message.  I enjoyed the process of brewing and checking the batch every day. One time I diversified and brewed root beer, but the whole batch blew up and dis colored the bedroom walls.  My wife hates beer.  Arch

--- End quote ---

Mary B:
Well we were brewing for 2 extended families with 30 beer drinkers... My own family alone was 12 beer drinkers lol

--- Quote from: madlabs on May 17, 2016, 10:16:03 AM ---Mary,

2000 gallons?! There goes my bubble!

Yep, it goes faster then folks might think. I had partners in brewing, so was often only keeping a half or third. And we used to brew for friend's weddings and special occasions. Nothing wrong with extract brewing, I like whole grain brewing because it is cheaper! And you do get some more control over flavor.

Guess not too many brewers here. I'm surprised.

Jonathan

--- End quote ---

frackers:

--- Quote from: Mary B on May 17, 2016, 05:53:56 PM ---People use 5 gallon buckets and lids with airlocks for fermenting now

--- End quote ---

That's the way I do it and have been for the last 10 years or so. Only run out twice and on both occasions only for a week or so :)

I generally use a kit with good quality hopped malt and add a tin of light malt extract instead of sugar or dextrose. The next brew I will experiment with some dried hops - using a 20/80 mix of boiled and raw for the last 5 days in the bucket.

Funny how you develop a taste for your own - although I have won 1st prize at the local rural A & P show a couple of years ;)

Simen:
I too brew all-grain, although not very often. (Tastes too good! :D )

I have a small 5-6 gal. brew kettle with heating element and mash filter/tube, and a circulation pump. Fermentation in 5 gal. buckets and aging on kegs. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version