Remote Living > Water

dealing with hard water

<< < (10/11) > >>

bigrockcandymountain:
Awesome, I saved it as a screenshot so I can find it when the time comes.  Thanks

jlsoaz:
no worries on the thread hijack, but back to the issue at hand:

I am to receive my system on a pallet in a week or two and also will be receiving an ultraviolet system of some sort.  Ok.  A lot of this does bring to mind the question of whether I can or should plan for rainwater harvesting in future, or just leave it alone and stay with the town-provided water.  I haven't done any research yet on this, but just noting it here as a long-term question mark for me.

bigrockcandymountain:
We harvest rainwater for garden watering just with some free ibc totes under the downspouts.  Our well water isn't great for plants. 

Are you thinking for drinking? Rainwater is really beautiful, soft water. 

You would want to filter it a bit, just to get the roof dust and bugs out I would think.  Maybe run it through a uv for drinking. 

I would say it is worth harvesting.  We are having the worst drought in years, and it still provides some water.  1" of rain off of our 2000sq ft roof makes about 1000gal.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the filter system. 

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: bigrockcandymountain on July 28, 2020, 08:42:54 AM ---We harvest rainwater for garden watering just with some free ibc totes under the downspouts.  Our well water isn't great for plants. 

Are you thinking for drinking? Rainwater is really beautiful, soft water. 

You would want to filter it a bit, just to get the roof dust and bugs out I would think.  Maybe run it through a uv for drinking. 

I would say it is worth harvesting.  We are having the worst drought in years, and it still provides some water.  1" of rain off of our 2000sq ft roof makes about 1000gal.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the filter system.

--- End quote ---

Good to know about the rainwater.  The whole-house nano-membrane system required that I invest in a tank, and a uv system, and I have to consider where to put it, and as I get the nano-membrane system up and running, I think all of this will lead to some thinking about future processing of water from one of my roof areas.

On the negative side, since I am not handy, and this is a major project, and I seem to have a special gift for getting capable people to blow me off for days, weeks, months, years and decades at a time, it will probably be 2023 before I get it installed if ever, and then 2027 before I turn to the rainwater question.  OK, 2023 is exaggeration, but I'm in teeth-gritting-manage-my-own-expectations-mode for trying to overcome the inertia around here on getting projects like this done, so we'll see how it goes.

SparWeb:

--- Quote ---...a special gift for getting capable people to blow me off...
--- End quote ---
No it's not you - it's them.
A co-worker of mine has been waiting for a landscape contractor to finish a simple retaining wall in his backyard for over a year now.  They came last spring, dug it up, left, and didn't come back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version