Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

ram pump and pelton wheel

(1/3) > >>

beau:
I have a site that has a low head(1.5meters) good flow etc but floods.
I have been considering a 100mm ram pump coupled to a pelton wheel for 24volt dc
any comments.
beau (Australia)

keithturtle:
That low of head will not produce pressure for a pelton wheel.  If you have enough flow you could turn a poncelet undershot wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncelet_wheel

Even a reaction turbine requires several meters of head to work

Turtle

Harold in CR:

One of my many projects I have going, involves using 2 motorcycle wheels that have PVC pipe halves bolted all the way around, like paddle wheels, and they will power an antique piston water pump. Both wheels will turn a single shaft that will be chain or cog belt drive to the piston shallow well pump.

From experience, i KNOW a 1/4-1/3 HP electric motor will pump water over 120' elevation which I will use to help keep my reservoir pond have enough water for sporatic 250W generation, depending on the rains for 9 month rainy season in my area.

The wheels and pump will be mounted on 2 pontoons from an old gold suction dredge, and tied off to trees, so water rise from heavy rains will still allow the wheels to turn while not washing the whole device downstream.

If this system interests you, I can post a few photos of the wheels and the pump in a disassembled stage, for references for you.

My steady supply of 20-40 gal/minute won't generate electricity, but 24 hours of pumping water 120' uphill will have some effect on how much I can drain down 170' to my generator turbine for a 24V semi off grid system, as I continue to add more generation. Lack of a metal lathe has been my holdup, but, I have a lathe almost built, so, hopefully I can make serious progress now.

Damn electric just went off again while typing this reply.  >:(  Keep us posted and good luck.

DenverDave:
I'm certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that either the ram pump or the water wheel (Pelton or other), are two approaches to use the power of water to pump water and would not likely be used at the same time for the same application.  I'm not sure what the trade-offs are or when you would use one or the other.

That said, I'm amazed at how little is being done or at least talked about to use water to pump water.

Adriaan Kragten:
I assume that your main goal is to pump water. The advantage of generating electricity and using the electric energy to drive the motor of an electric pump is that the electric energy can also be used for other goals than pumping. In my report KD 598 (see my website: www.kdwindturbines.nl) I describe a small floating water turbine which can be placed in a river. The same idea can also be used if only a small head is available.

Assume that parallel to the main river you make a channel under an angle of 30° or larger with the horizon. At the top of this channel you have the PM-generator above the water level with the generator shaft also positioned under the same angle. At the bottom of the channel you have the turbine rotor. In stead of an open channel it might also be possible to use a big tube. The advantage of this option above a floating water turbine is that you will get much higher water speeds and that therefore you can generate a lot of power even for a small rotor diameter. But certainly you will need a much bigger generator than as used in KD 598. It might be possible to use a 34-pole generator as described in KD 560 or a 46-pole generator as described in KD 624 and connect this generator directly to the asynchronous motor of a centrifugal pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version