Author Topic: Axial Flux Designer  (Read 23216 times)

StirlingEngine

Re: Axial Flux Designer
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:41 PM »
I has almost been two months since I made the last changes to the project. This because I have been very busy....

I want to start working on the program again and I would like to know what people think of the program and if things should be changed/added (e.g. FEM?) /improved?

I know that the documentation is still not there (will start working on it) but I hope the software is self explaning enough? I use Latex as a documentation language. However, this hase a steep learing curve so I may have to switch back to Word...

Does anyone use the program and do you think it contributes at all?

On this location is a recent build of the software:

https://github.com/FinalFrontierPrototyping/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/tree/master/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/bin/Debug/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner.exe

This version uses FreeCAD to draw the stator. However, due to a bug in FreeCAD this function only works with an edited file. I have reported this bug and am waiting if it will be fixed soon. If people are intrested I can post the edited file so the 3D file can be seen.

Regards.

joestue

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »
Yes i have used 3000W/m2 in my calculation..... i think changes made in winding coil value

one of the best thermal interface material is keratherm red which is 7 w/mK

5 minute cheap epoxy with no fillers may well be .3W/mk or less.

my hard firebricks are about 1W/mk, and the IFB firebricks are .1 to .2 W/mK

this is from wikipedia, believe it or not lol.. artic silver 5

The company claims that AS-5's thermal conductivity is 8.7 W/(m·K). However, a study led by the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that it was only 0.94 W/(m·K).[4]

silver has a thermal conductivity of 405 W/mK
diamonds are around 2000 iiirc..

your 3000 figure is wrong but the conversion between W/mK and w/cmK is a factor of 100, so the original value of .3 was probably correct.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

StirlingEngine

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »
Yes i have used 3000W/m2 in my calculation..... i think changes made in winding coil value

one of the best thermal interface material is keratherm red which is 7 w/mK

5 minute cheap epoxy with no fillers may well be .3W/mk or less.

my hard firebricks are about 1W/mk, and the IFB firebricks are .1 to .2 W/mK

this is from wikipedia, believe it or not lol.. artic silver 5

The company claims that AS-5's thermal conductivity is 8.7 W/(m·K). However, a study led by the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that it was only 0.94 W/(m·K).[4]

silver has a thermal conductivity of 405 W/mK
diamonds are around 2000 iiirc..

your 3000 figure is wrong but the conversion between W/mK and w/cmK is a factor of 100, so the original value of .3 was probably correct.

I am afraid that you mix up thermal conductivity (W·m−1·K−1) with heat dissipation (W/m2). When you have current flowing through a coil heat will be generated. This heat can only leave (dissipate) the coil on the sides. The generated heat should be limited. The used value is based on experience  by hugh piggott (http://www.scribd.com/doc/236742695/A-Wind-Turbine-Recipe-Book-metric-edition).

rsskarthikeyan

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 02:17:36 AM »
Is there any FEA tools to check the performance of Permanent magnet generators?  Cut-in voltage during starting should be equal to the battary bank voltage not as 280V? I could not clear the doubts posted in

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,143174.msg1034932.html#msg1034932 and regarding this article.

Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Generator Design for Low Cost Manufacturing of Small Wind Turbines by
K.C. Latoufis, G.M. Messinis, P.C. Kotsampopoulos and N.D. Hatziargyriou.

anybody suggest me regarding this one.

Thanks in advance

Karthikeyan

StirlingEngine

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »
I've added a new version (click Raw of the github page and the download will start):

https://github.com/FinalFrontierPrototyping/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/raw/master/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/bin/Release/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner.exe

This version includes improved calculation of :

Rotor inner and outer radius.
Stator inner and outer radius.
Coil leg width (simplified)
Coil dimension calculations (had a lot of impact on previous calculations)

Using the MagnetPoleArcToPolePitchRatio variable (ideal 2/PI) and the magnet width, the Rotor inner and outer radii are calculated. These values are used to calculate the coil dimensions (rotor inner and outer radii are leading in this calculation!) Also the Stator inner and outer radii are calculated. Calculation of the coil dimension is done using basic trigeometry (however a lot of steps).

Once again I will continue documentation but I think that for the people that know these types of generators they can give it a go :) I stopped documentation because the concept of first determining the rotor inner and outer radii and calculate the rest based on these values had a lot of impact on the way I documented the software so far.....

I would like to have some test data so I can verify the calculations.

Questions, suggestions? Please let me know :)

Regards.

StirlingEngine

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
Minor update with some code improvements. The software now saves all settings to a configuration file. It is also possible to Load from and to Save as configuration files to share with others or to save multiple designs.

For anyone who is intrested in the article. It appears to be available from here:

http://multi-science.atypon.com/doi/pdf/10.1260/0309-524X.36.4.411

This is a good guide that shows how a lot of things are calculated.

Once again: Anyone who tried it? Please let me know! Makes working on the software more fun :)

Enjoy.

boB

• boB
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 06:29:19 PM »
Minor update with some code improvements. The software now saves all settings to a configuration file. It is also possible to Load from and to Save as configuration files to share with others or to save multiple designs.

For anyone who is intrested in the article. It appears to be available from here:

http://multi-science.atypon.com/doi/pdf/10.1260/0309-524X.36.4.411

This is a good guide that shows how a lot of things are calculated.

Once again: Anyone who tried it? Please let me know! Makes working on the software more fun :)

Enjoy.

Thanks for the link to that article !

boB

Merry

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
Hello and thanks for your program but it does not work on my PC,I have XP and come out an error that say this program is not for Win32. Any solution?

Thanks

I've added a new version (click Raw of the github page and the download will start):

https://github.com/FinalFrontierPrototyping/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/raw/master/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner/bin/Release/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner.exe

This version includes improved calculation of :

Rotor inner and outer radius.
Stator inner and outer radius.
Coil leg width (simplified)
Coil dimension calculations (had a lot of impact on previous calculations)

Using the MagnetPoleArcToPolePitchRatio variable (ideal 2/PI) and the magnet width, the Rotor inner and outer radii are calculated. These values are used to calculate the coil dimensions (rotor inner and outer radii are leading in this calculation!) Also the Stator inner and outer radii are calculated. Calculation of the coil dimension is done using basic trigeometry (however a lot of steps).

Once again I will continue documentation but I think that for the people that know these types of generators they can give it a go :) I stopped documentation because the concept of first determining the rotor inner and outer radii and calculate the rest based on these values had a lot of impact on the way I documented the software so far.....

I would like to have some test data so I can verify the calculations.

Questions, suggestions? Please let me know :)

Regards.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:08 AM »
way back in post no.31 it shows an illustration of a magnet rotor .
 your showing the space between magnets to be a fraction of the magnet width and less that the magnet thickness.
 what does your design program say should be the proper air gap?

i think you should increase the spacing of the magnets. until it is greater than the air gap between  magnet rotors. other wise the flux will be happy to travel side ways from one mag to the next rather that across the air gap through the copper..