Author Topic: Nano vs UNO or ???  (Read 4397 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Nano vs UNO or ???
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
This post is mostly for the guru's of the Arduino and ATMEGA world, but of course anyone can have a say :-).
I have a few more projects that I'm looking to work on before the brunt of winter descends upon us.

I am still playing with and still snagging code from OperaHouse's posts. The programming instructions seems to be sticking.

The Arduino UNO is easy enough to connect and program, but I've been looking at the ATMEGA or UNO as a cheaper way to go.
These cute little buggers , however do not have a direct connection for programming.

So the question is this:
Which one is better for long term? The UNO due to ease of programming or Nano because of cost?

FYI : My project involves using these as voltage controllers for the LiPo batteries I have. I currently use 25cent USB changers for each battery set.

I am also using a re-purposed HF 12V 15watt panel for this.
The batteries are the 3.7Vdc 4Ah units , they are charged 2P and connected to my air-pump 4S and separately I'm doing another set done similar , except I'll be using this for LED grow lights for our Hybridized hot peppers.
This setup is 2 12V 750mW sets, along with a timer circuit again using culled programming.
I realize the single 12V 15Watt Panel will not be able to keep up, but it's not the panel , it's the automated setup I'm more concerned about.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Nano vs UNO or ???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Hi,

Note that the UNO does contain an ATMega part (the ATMega328P).

You should consider (as I am) moving on to the ARM Arduino because of the likely much better pricing longer term.

You can actually also build a minimal UNO-alive yourself with a bare ATMega328P + a few external components (basically how the OpenTRV designs work).

Does that help, or have I made things worse?  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
I should be getting a couple of those nano whatevers with USB in a couple of days.  I swore I would get the new vertical units next time.  The little buggers actually have more I/O than the full size UNO and the same pin to pin spacing so you might as well go small.   With a smaller package the total power that can be drawn from the package is less.  That doesn't matter if you are driving a FET anyway.  For simple one of a kind projects it really doesn't matter.  I don't get too invested because in another year there will always be something else.  Just remember to not use the onboard regulators to power anything but a couple LED.

I just looked at tracking for te nano.  It says Handover To Customs.  Wonder how long that will take!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:48:08 PM by OperaHouse »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.

DamonHD;
I did notice on the board the same chip :-).

Operahouse;
I am considering the Nano, I figured the cost of 1 programming set would save me in the long run.
FETs got'em , tho the UNO kits are looking enticing too.
TOO many toys !!

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »
I've always treated the Nano as a disposable Dual-In-Line plugin module that is cheap (I can get cheaper from China that I can buy the bare CPU locally) that I'm familiar with (I've been using Atmel AVRs for over 15 years - right back to when they first started sampling the AT90S1200).

Accident with a 'scope probe or a bit of wire - bang - pull it out and plug another one in, program it and carry on!!

Very simple to make your own carrier boards using strip board and in-line socket strips.

Starting in 2016 I'd go for the one of the STM32 series CPUs. The STM32F103C8T6 boards for example are less that US$2 (free postage).
Comparing against the Atmel 328p as used in the Uno and Nano:
  • 72MHz clock (cf 16MHz)
  • 32KHz real time clock (cf none)
  • 10x Analog inputs sampled at 1us (cf 8 at 260us)
  • 3x 16 bit timers each with 4 channels for PWM etc (cf 1x16 bit, 2x8 bit)
  • 64k flash (cf 32k)
  • 20k RAM (cf 2k)
  • 1x CAN bus (cf none)
  • 3x UART (cf 1x)
  • 2x I2C bus (cf 1x) 
  • 2x SPI bus (cf 1x)
  • 1x USB bus (cf none)
  • 7x DMA channels (cf none) 
  • 32 bit ARM Cortex M3 CPU (cf 8 bit AVR)
  • programmer only US$3 (cf US$3!!) 
  • 6x hardware breakpoints for debugging (cf none)

Same basic development environment using gcc as the compiler so a lot of code is portable between systems (only the bit that touches the hardware changes!)

The Arduino IDE (which I really don't like) provides a straight forward interface to lots of existing library code to deal with a lot of extern stuff (lcd, 1-wire, RF module etc).

Tools available from ST Micro allow better control of the hardware and are not THAT difficult to handle (STM32CUBEMX is a wizard that writes all the startup code for you and interfaces to the HAL library for example).

Certainly what will use for new projects but I'll continue with the AVR on existing ones a in the main it does the job intended.

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

richhagen

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:18:51 AM »
nano vs. Uno.  I like prototyping with the nano because I can drop it right onto a breadboard to play with it.  Capabilities are mostly similar.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

OperaHouse

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
I tell people to use the UNO first because it is plug and play. With these other boards you will have to download drivers and that can be a real buzz killer.  I just got this nano in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282075044691?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Had to download the CH340 driver.  Their link didn't work.  Had problems with some other sites.  It is just not something many neophytes are prepared to deal with.  And if you select NANO in the board selection in TOOLS it doesn't work either.  PRO MINI 328 does work. The compiler will tell you it has downloaded when it hasn't.  Things like that can leave a first time user pulling his hair out.  Never have liked downloading drivers.  Always get them to work, but couldn't tell someone how I did it.  Once you have some experience, I say try it.  These boards at less than $2.50 are a deal.  I'm making a fan timer for my wife.  She likes these three computer fans I put in a wood box blasting on her, but doesn't want to fall asleep with them still on.  The temps really do drop a lot a couple hours later.  I still feel bad about using something this powerful for such a meaningless task.  Nothing else will do it this cheap and easy.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
Rich;
I am leaning towards staying with the UNO, I had noticed the ATMega3xx that DamonHD spoke about; on the board and thought of the irony :-).

Operahouse;
Fan and LED light timers are the things I'm working towards as well. I have Hybrid-Hydropnic hot peppers ( actually the 1st true bush that is the love child hybrid mix of a Problano and Scotch bonnet) . I am currently using a 110Vac timer to turn on a fan for a total of 8 hours. The LEDs 8 RED 5 Blue 3 Ultraviolet are on 16hours fan only 2hrs at a time.
I was worried about getting the Nanos and NOT being able to get them to work, OR needing extra boards. BUT thought once a programming board was purchased it could be used for future boards.

I'll post up my code here, or probably start a new thread. Just need to remember to bring 1Gig CF card I'm working on.
My code is merely a count down timer that resets via a loop

Thanks!!

westerly

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I, like ricchhagen, prefer the nano. I skipped the usual uno starter as the nano plugs right into a solderless prototyping  breadboard. You can then develop the circuit and debug and then easily move it to a final hardwired version as the nano is so small. I've used it to develop for the attiny chips too. And with the schematic you can hack one spare nano board to be the equivalent "usb breakout board" by finding the appropriate resistor pad. They're all good stuff!