Author Topic: Recycling of gifted parts  (Read 3343 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Recycling of gifted parts
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
Hello All;
Once again being nice to people works  ;D.
Here's an item that someone bought at an outlet store for less than 1/2 of what it would've cost even at another "outlet" store, or so they said.
This is one of the battery banks , sold at a cute little store named 5-below, for about $5USD.
The owner stated the unit just would not charge after a few times.
Me being me, I asked would he did with it. He said he saved it for me 'caused I'm always fussing with "stuff".
It took me a few days to remember about taking it to work to see what's what.

Here's what it looks like with the cover off. I really like these little chargers! It has a micro-usb connection for charging and standard USB for normal charging of phone-n-stuff.

I can't seem to find them for sale yet ;-< BUT would love to!!

Anyway, it seems to be the poor soldering connections from the charger to the battery are to blame for the death of this battery.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Recycling of gifted parts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »
I put this here as it pertains to the charger that I will be making use of.
I know it only charges at 0.5 - 1.0 A , however since this is for LED lights for the hydroponics and possible testing of series/parallel running of an air stone pump. It'll be fun  8)
Cheers
Bruce S

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
Looks close to a standard 4056 charging card.  Does it have a boost converter to make it 5V?  I was just given one of those starlights that projects red and green laser dots on your house cause it didn't work.  Checked out its 5V wall wart and it was dead.  Spliced in a new one and that was killed instantly.  Then put it on a current limited supply.  Drew about 1.4A, the factory wall wart was rated at 2A.  Then it dropped to 160ma, though that short must have blown open as it now worked.  Just put a resistor in series as I wanted to use it on 12V.  Stopped working after a short time.  Opened it up ane was surprised how complicated the supply was.  Obviously they are operating the lasers at their limits and they compensate for temp.  Not worth the time to actually fix.  I'll just run the lasers at about 1/3 power through resistors and  forget about it.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
I had to get my Celestron powerseeker out just to even begin to see the components on this board.
The main chip is a TP4313 which doesn't seem to be available anymore.
The main board has T1845-D V1.0 on it, so I'm guessing that's the identifier.
Unfortunately , this is not a boost type. From my quit meter checking the 5+ charging gets stepped down the 4+ for charging the battery. The cut-off is supposed to be 3.7
The nice part about this one is the status LEDs. The charging has a blinking red when charging. This way I can quickly tell if the battery is in charge mode.
I have a known good INR18650 3.7 2A attached to it at this point, but I'm sure at 0.5A charging it'll be all day charging.
Have to do a little updating, the cut-off is 4.1 for 18650 (per websites).
We will see
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:40:49 PM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
As I go about testing this little gem.
Here's the nice things about it.
The RED LED blinks during charge mode. Goes solid when finished. Comes on during mobile phone charge.
It has both the Micro-USB port for charging it, and a standard size USB port for charging "stuff".
The cut-off voltage is 4.1
Having both ports on it allows me have both cables on it.
I've been able to use this with a 6V foldable solar panel, a 12vDC to USB portable charger , and wall-wart USB charger.
The blue colored battery in the first pic, is pretty much toast. There's no markings on it at all, so I cannot tell what the mA rating is supposed to be.

Next is wiring up some batteries into a parallel fashion, hook it up to a rescued HF panel and see how long it takes for the little red light to stop flashing.