Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Winco LLC5000H generator, low output

(1/3) > >>

madlabs:
Howdy Folks,

Off grid and in a cloudy/rainy spell. Of course, that's when I discover the output voltage of my generator is low! I'm getting 115 and 230V and it drops as low as 90VAC under any sort of load. The generator is a Winco LLC5000H. Engine speed is not too low and load is not too great. The trouble shooting guide in the owners manual says the diode, the field coil or the stator. Any ideas which is most likely? I'm trying to determine a course of action, if it is the stator, probably too expensive to fix. Field coil maybe and diode, sure no problem.

Thanks!

joestue:
Brushed or brushless?

Check that the capacitor is what it's supposed to be if it's brushless.

OperaHouse:
Looking at the schematic, it is brushless and does have a capacitor.  Wonder why they didn't mention that.  I would suspect the capacitor.  The capacitor can be checked by putting a 60W lamp in series and connecting to AC.  I have had to flash the rotors on some to remagnetize them, but those usually started out with fairly low voltage.  Diode can only be checked if one lead removed, usually burried in varnish.

madlabs:
The cap checked out. I did the VOM test and then did a 350VDC leakage test. It's capacitance is 38.4uF, well within tolerance. The rotor, exciter and stator all seem to ohm out OK. It's a little hard to tell for sure, as the resistance is low and trying to get a good connection isn't easy. However, the resistances are very close and if they were too low I'd expect to see some burnt windings.

The rectifier passes a low voltage VOM test. Since it is a 1200V, 25A diode, I decided to try a higher voltage test on it. At 400VDC it will pass the full voltage one way but still allows 35V to pass the other way. I had a 1000V, 12A diode laying around and it only passed 5V backwards. So, since everything else seemed OK I found a diode at Mouser that should work, 1/2 the price of the dealer one. What do you guys think, is the diode bad?

Thanks gents!

joestue:
35 volts into a 1 Meg ohm meter is 35 micro amps. If your meter is 10 megs then that's 3.5 uamps of leakage current. Good enough....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version