Author Topic: Using and charging different type of batteried  (Read 3419 times)

Jason Wilkinson

Using and charging different type of batteried
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
Hi to all, my current batteries are  Hawker  OPzV   second hand ,had them from Sep 2008  no problems. I have now another (second hand)  EB4 6v 200 by Emerson.  What's the best way/method of charging them both,
12x 250 watt panel  and a DanB/Hugh Piggott 12 footer keeps me going at the moment   I have in mind 2 ways but would like to hear from the forum
  Jason

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Using and charging different type of batteried
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Hi Jason,
Could you provide a few spec's to get me started?  The Hawker's are a range of battery types from 270 Ah to 3900 Ah, and I also don't know what voltage/string arrangement you have them in.
Depending on the size of your bank, and what you propose to add, the solar/wind setup you have may not be able to keep up with their needs.  That's assuming that the WT and solar you have were roughly matched to the Hawker bank you started with...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:21:01 AM »
 Hi Sparweb  (merry  Xmas)   i'm more concerned  with the the charging of the two type of batteries. The 600 ah hawker works fine
with 6000 watt of panels and of course the turbine. I've just acquired another set of (used ) batteries   1200 ah of EMERSON eb4 6v 200  and want to incorporate them in parallel with the Hawker.
   Background  inverter=magna sine pae 4024.  CC  classic 150   3000 watt panels are in 4 strings of 3 panels  into  combiner box.
 What i have done is to seperate the batteries into 6 strings  hawker 3 strings of 200 ah   EB4 3 strings of 400 ah  as not to charge all together  as you can see it needs to be monitored
 Jason

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Jason!
Congratulations on the new additions!

Am I figuring this out correctly?

You have:
12 cells x 2v = 24V battery in the Hawker bank, each string 200 Ah X 3 strings, total 600 Ah.  Net 14.4 kWhr
12 cells x 2v = 24V battery in the Emerson bank, each string 400 Ah X 3 strings, total 1200 Ah.  Net 28.8 kWhr
12 solar panels @ 250W each = 3000 Watts.  Available for 8 hours per day: Net 24,000 Watt-hours of Solar
Solar input may vary between 10kWhr and 30 kWhr on any given day.
12-ft WT at 4 m/sec average wind & 50% system efficiency = 200 Watt. Available for 4 hours per day: Net 800 Watt-hours of Wind
Wind input may vary between 0 kWhr and 5 kWhr on any given day.
Daily loads on the system are unknown.

The first thing I'm looking for is overall system balance - you want to be sure to have some charge left over at the end of the day (or early in the morning when speaking of solar panels) to tide you over on cloudy days.  When adding batteries to a system that is already balanced, there are many advantages, but one drawback that comes from taking much longer to fully recharge after a prolonged discharge.  Batteries in that state spend a lot longer in a discharged condition.  Not healthy in the long term.  Getting used batteries, as you have, takes a lot of the sting out of reduced battery life, though.  Lucky you!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
  Hi sparweb

" 12 cells x 2v = 24V battery in the Hawker bank, each string 200 Ah X 3 strings, total 600 Ah.  Net 14.4 kWhr
12 cells x 2v = 24V battery in the Emerson bank, each string 400 Ah X 3 strings, total 1200 Ah.  Net 28.8 kWhr
12 solar panels @ 250W each = 3000 Watts.  Available for 8 hours per day: Net 24,000 Watt-hours of Solar
Solar input may vary between 10kWhr and 30 kWhr on any given day.
12-ft WT at 4 m/sec average wind & 50% system efficiency = 200 Watt. Available for 4 hours per day: Net 800 Watt-hours of Wind
Wind input may vary between 0 kWhr and 5 kWhr on any given day. "

Thanks for that info (must save it)    I don't really know my usage,  the grid is used only for welding  16kwh  last reading, but an old bill from 4 yrs back shows 350+ khw   my system with the hawker batt is adequate, sunshine/wind in the caribbean  (Barbados beats them all ) is great   I just could not pass up on the  EB4 6v , The 3000 w panels charge the hawkers quite good , many days before noon the cc goes into float,
    Can't seem to find much info on the EB4   have a look at their web site  , suggest stacking the batt vertical
  Jason

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
Actually, I was hoping you would check my assumptions - like, do you actually get that much sun on a given day?

The one danger with old batteries - especially mixing them - is that a "bad" set will pull down a "better" set, and this gets worse and worse if your recharge capacity is limited, or your demands are high.
The sketchy list I just put together tells me that your solar/wind potential is not able to recharge your system every day, now that you've made your battery bank 3x larger.  Old batteries also have self-discharge issues - though they are much less on AGM's intended for industrial use like you have there.
As you said before: it needs to be monitored, so you get the idea...
www.sparweb.ca