Author Topic: Where to put this question  (Read 6829 times)

Harold in CR

Where to put this question
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »

Hi
 Most of y'all know I am electronics ignorant, don't know squat.

I have a step grandson 12 years old that is really smart. I believe he has an interest in Electronics and I want to help him. I have been looking on ebay (simply looking for info starter kits) and nearly everything is Arduino kits.

Is this the same basics of electronics or something more advanced?  Any suggestions on how I go about helping, kits, books, etc., will be very appreciated.

1 problem, he is spanish descent, and is learning english, but, it is taught rather poorly, here. He enters junior high school in February, and, I believe he can take electronics classes right away.

Any suggestions, advice ??  Thanks, Harold

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Where to put this question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
I read this book from the 6 grade and up.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/517

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:23:25 AM »
Arduino is at the boundary between computing and electronics, which is good but is not just electronics.

I learnt electronics on its own from the 50-in-1 kits from the likes of Radio Shack; the one I bought my daughter was from a kid's toy store with a completely different brand so they still exist.

I'd be amazed if you could not on-line find good electronics and Arduino guides en Español given the number of users and the number of speakers!

Eg:

http://playground.arduino.cc/Es/Es
    https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=32.0

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:13:06 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »

Thanks guys. Off to do some searching. Previous searches for Spanish learning guides came up nada.

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »

Bought the book and still looking for kits that might help the grandson.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:54:50 AM »
I have been very happy with the Vellman stuff I have used, right up to a 3D printer, so I'd support Mary's suggestion.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Harold in CR

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 08:34:19 AM »

Would these vellman kits be for a more advanced beginner, rather than the absolute beginner with a radio shack type kit ?? I really have no idea how to go about helping this boy, but, I would need to carry whatever I can find on the plane trip back to CR.

I'm hoping to get him a hands on something, to go along with his beginner school classes. I have a rough time learning from books, but, give me parts and maybe 1 photo and get out of my way.

This is why I'm seeking advice from the very helpful folks here.  Thank you Mary and Damon for the kits advice. I might do a few of those for NEXT Xmas gifts, after seeing if he is really interested in Electronics.

I have built an all electric motorcycle of sorts, and am currently building a modded dirt bike frame into a leaning 3 wheel tadpole design, and, I already have a couple of non functioning controllers/chargers, etc. and NOBODY down here can repair them. This kid has an enormous future at hand, and I am trying to get his Dad into converting used motos here into full E-motos, and someone will need to do the electronic repairs on those as well as e-cars that are JUST starting to show up here. 

Am I really on the right track here, or just dreaming out loud ?  :o ;D

OperaHouse

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
"Arduino is at the boundary between computing and electronics" is a good way to put it.  The kid has a computer.  If he wanted to do complex calculations, he could now.  Every kid wants something that has some action.  Make sure to get a large number of FET modules. Driving lights and motors will keep their interest.  I did an animation project for a store and I just couldn't stop.  It had lights, movement, and sound.  The RANDOM function provides a lot of wonderment when producing sound, driving motors and lights.  All just really simple few lines of code.  More and more got added to the project till I had to deliver.  Design some artwork that will amaze his friends. That's how you motivate and learn.  Don't turn it into a homework assignment.  Make learning fun. I can supply some sample animation code.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
Vellman has kits from rank beginner to advanced. Their little radio kits are great for kids because they can actually use it to listen to music.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 11:42:14 PM »
I learned electronics from a series of books by Forrest Mimms.  I think they are still available online...  I'll check.
The books explain the basics with fun hand drawn sketches.  Circuits start simple and grow into lots of things that are easy to build.
They also help get the beginner over the "hump" of understanding schematics.  when I was a kid, I remember a friend of mine getting very frustrated at a wiring schematic that didn't look like a "picture" of the circuit.  Since I had read the Mimms book, I had taken that step already, so I was able to help him get his circuit going.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 11:44:32 PM »
Yup, still available:
https://www.amazon.ca/Getting-Started-Electronics-Forrest-Mims/dp/0945053282
(Note that I linked a CANADA site for Amazon. Use whatever site you need for online booksellers that ship to you in Costa Rica.)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Harold in CR

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 06:45:12 AM »

You are just a tad late with that book link, sparweb.  ;D ;D It was recommended earlier in this thread so I found and bought one delivered to Florida USA. I'm going up there in Feb to buy some more batteries for moto conversions. I'm looking forward to reading that book.

I still appreciate all your input to my threads, no matter how poorly I manage to post them.  Thanks

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Doh!
I didn't click on the Adafruit link - that is indeed the same book.  Can't recommend it highly enough, or often enough!
BTW Forrest Mims has a personal website with all kinds of weird projects on it, too.  Fun read if you ever want to geek out.
www.sparweb.ca

Harold in CR

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »

Thank you Sparweb. Will definitely check it out. Looks like I will be going to Florida within 2-3 weeks. Son is hopefully buying me 2--Chevy Volt 18.4 Kwh batteries today, so, I will have to go up and start tearing them down.

Have plenty of stuff to check out and purchase to send down with battery modules.

Merry Christmas to me !!!   ;D ;D